starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restarting point

Default Restarting point

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach, looking for some advice please,

For someone who's had a lot of time off and intermittent restarts into training - what would you recommend for getting back into both nutrition and training? I have a sedentary job sat at a desk all day.

Current stats 6ft - 29 yo - 272lb - 40" waist - last attempts on the big lifts (did some splits since but not much)

Squat - 140kg x 5 x 3
    OHP - 57.5kg x 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 125kg x 5 (this fell the most since not training)
    Bench - 85kg x 5 x 3
    Was also doing cleans but I'm not looking to do these really, I'm no athlete atm.

The first thing I suggest is getting that deadlift back over the squat. You were ambitious with your squat and cautious with your deadlift. Reverse that trend.

What are you currently eating?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    The first thing I suggest is getting that deadlift back over the squat. You were ambitious with your squat and cautious with your deadlift. Reverse that trend.

What are you currently eating?
    I'll be honest coach,

As I have failed to restarting into training a few times I have not been tracking exactly. I keep setting figures like 2200 or 2400 but I know I don't stick to it!
    Things have just been very chaotic and got out of the routine following change in work, being abroad for a few months and now being back home and training my pup that I bought for hunting.

I need to get back into the routine of 3x a week lifting!

I would appreciate advice on where to start with kcals and macros. I am not too happy at 270+ lb, historically I was on here at 220+ asking for nutritional advice to cut down to 200 I would prefer not to be a fat bastard and not be out of breach from doing the damn stairs!

I would very much like to get back down to the 220 mark. I find it very easy to gain weight, but once added on find it hard to lose. I was sat at 240 and had the Avatar nutrition app for a while which recommended "reverse dieting" for a while, I just ended up gaining about 15lb from that which I never lost. Think I was eating about 3200 ish to go from 240-250ish!

How many days in a row do you stick to 2200-2400? Do you have a day that you go "off plan?"

Not particularly, a couple of days, maybe have a bad day, then back to a day or two. With training so intermittent though it's hard to get into that routine of eating right if your not training.

I want to get back to training 3x a week and eating right. Don't know where to start with both my lifts and my diet. If I drop my weight on the bar down low and I'm eating loads I feel like I'm just getting fatter when not needed.

I might go to the gym and just test the big lifts for my maxes and see how that looks.

How about you start at 2200 and focus solely on getting into the gym 3 days per week. Then after a month ramp up to 2500 and after 2 months try 3000. By then the squats should be heavy enough to justify it.

How about you start at 2200 and focus solely on getting into the gym 3 days per week. Then after a month ramp up to 2500 and after 2 months try 3000. By then the squats should be heavy enough to justify it.
    Thanks Coach,

What would you recommenced I start with for macros?

Any advice on where I should aim to restart the lifts?

Appreciate you giving your time 👍🏻

Lloyd

Ballpark figure I'd shoot for 250 carb, 200 protein, 70 fat, 40 fiber. You'll likely need more as you go on but this should be a decent starting point

Ballpark figure I'd shoot for 250 carb, 200 protein, 70 fat, 40 fiber. You'll likely need more as you go on but this should be a decent starting point
    Thanks Coach,

I managed to pretty much nail those macros today

I also got back in the gym to test my lifts,

I haven't trained for several weeks, and before that had a good year off almost.

I managed

Squat 5x 100kg - I wasn't busting a gut but it was just starting to get difficult.
    Bench 5x 80kg - fairly difficult but not close to failing any reps
    OHP - 5x 50kg fairly difficult but not close to failing any reps
    Deadlift 5x 120kg - as above - no issues but a bit closer to failing due to grip.

What would you recommend dropping my starting weights down to if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    You are very welcome! I'd try 80 kg not he squat, 70 kg on the bench press, 110 kg on the deadlift, and 45 kg on the press. Ramp the deadlift up quickly this time. No reason to be squatting that close to it at your stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast