starting strength gym

Thread: Transitioning to Intermediate while losing weight

Default Transitioning to Intermediate while losing weight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I debated whether this belongs here or in programming, so if I posted in the wrong place, I apologize for that. I put it here because it is about programming related to my nutrition.

I am currently losing weight while running the NLP program since 10/10/2018, having started in the EWL category (and possibly still there). I am still adding weight to the bar each workout, and haven't had to switch to any of the more advanced novice methods yet (back off sets, 5x3 presses, light squat days, etc...). So, my question is future looking, but I like to plan ahead, and I suspect I've only got another month or two before I need to transition over partially or entirely.

So before the details, my question is what changes would you make to intermediate programming (looking at Texas Method right now) for someone that is going to be eating in caloric deficit for the next 10-12 months?

Now for the details to provide context:
    Current BW: 301.8# (down 29.8#)
    Current Waist: 51" (down 5")
    Goal BW: ~220#
    Target Waist: ~38"
    Height: 5'10"

Last lifts:
    Squat: 285x5x3
    Deadlift: 310x5x1
    Bench: 182.5x5x3
    Press: 115x5x3

Diet:
    Calories: 2300
    Protein: 230
    Carbs: 200+
    Fat: <=60

My Goal BW will really be driven my where I'm at with a 38" waist. Estimates and simple math puts it at about 220#/38". Current weight loss rate average puts me at this target by about the end of the year, though my experience with weight loss tells me there will most likely be bumps along the way.

As mentioned, I am still adding weight to the bar each workout, and plan to adjust the lifts (back offs, 5x3 presses, etc...) before I move over to an intermediate program. Based on reading and looking at the stress involved in the first few weeks of TM, I expect them to be less or similarly stressful, therefore not a huge concern on the caloric deficit. However, after several weeks I'll be pushing my body harder and the stress will be higher, requiring more adequate recovery. Since I have plans to lose weight for the next 10-12 months (or more if needed), I'm wondering to to look at this.

Below is an example, but potentially real scenario:

I continue NLP through mid-April. I then start TM and do well on it until the end of June, at which point my caloric deficit required to lose weight is not enough to recover and drive growth. At this point I would have ~5-6 more months of weight loss, but progress is stalled.

Is there anything programming-wise that can be done to try and keep things moving up on the bar, or would that be a point where I need to just stay at the last successful weights while the weight loss continues?

Also, I know you're really big on DL > Squat by more than I'm currently at. I had actually paused my squat at 240 for 3-4 weeks as I drove my DL up to 285. After that, DL went up by 10s, but then stalled at 305 for 4 sessions due to form (bar away from legs/off midfoot, and need to set back better). I am working on those form issues, and going up by 5s while I do.

Thanks for sharing. I suggest going with HLM over TM. I've tried TM on a caloric restriction in various demographics including your own. It simply doesn't end well, the resources are not there for recovery. You are right too...you need to deadlift more :-)

Thanks, coach. I'll review HLM in PPST again to get a better idea what I'm looking at.

Regarding the potential of hitting a brick wall due to caloric deficit at some point, should I stop stressing about it in advance, or is it something I should plan for? If I should plan for it, any pointers?

If you reach "no man's land" where you aren't getting stronger, are hungry all the time, and not losing weight you have to decide if getting leaner is worth the expense of getting weaker. This point is different for all of us but we all have it.

Thanks, Coach Santana. It sounds like I'm stressing about something I shouldn't worry about until I get there. (Aware of it, but not worrying about it.)

starting strength coach development program
    Yep. You will know when you get there and decisions will need to be made.