starting strength gym

Thread: Probiotic dosing post antibiotics

Default Probiotic dosing post antibiotics

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach, I just had a violent reaction to a very strong antibiotic dose (non allergenic) for a long term bronchitis. I actually had to go to the emergency room. Debilitating GI pain.

Anyway, trying to recover ASAP. Trying to eat yogurt and some of the new age pro-biotic drinks to get back to whatever normal is. I still have no appetite and painful bloating but I am doing a lot better.

Any recommendations on short term probiotics dosing? Go crazy or ease into it?Yogurt seems to make the most sense because it has some protein. Need to be able to train ASAP! Thanks!

Thanks for posting. That sounds pretty rough. I'd start slow with the probiotics. Start with a low dose and titrate it up each week for a good month. Do you have a supplement in mind? Generally, the longer you were on antibiotics the longer you will need to take the probiotics to restore the gut flora.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Thanks for posting. That sounds pretty rough. I'd start slow with the probiotics. Start with a low dose and titrate it up each week for a good month. Do you have a supplement in mind? Generally, the longer you were on antibiotics the longer you will need to take the probiotics to restore the gut flora.
    Yeah thanks. Who knew we had to be expert farmers on top of everything else? Cultures, nutrients, fertilizers and fighting off the bad stuff.

Keeps us well informed

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Keeps us well informed
    Thanks again! Its been about three weeks and I'm probably mostly recovered as I am training well now.

I did lose a legitimate 8lbs that first week. Not water weight as I was able to stay very well hydrated through the ordeal. Tried titrating the probiotics upwards per your recommendation. Not as easy as it sounds as real food is not standardized.And a lot of BS out there. I like the new age drinks with probiotics (pseudo beer? Magic tea?), but it turns out they pasteurize everything and add back probiotics so what's the point? So I ended up buying a container of green powder with probiotics. Its expensive but seemed like a good idea at the time and I'll finish the container for sure.

Like many things involving nutrition, the amount of conflicting information and "Mom" advice, makes doing the "best" thing impossible. Coach, we really appreciate what you do. The nonsense you must see....

Sorry for the long delay on this. There is never a shortage of bs. Try out kimchi or sauerkraut, both fermented foods that are excellent for your gut.

starting strength coach development program
    One tab of lactobacillus per day is becoming a fairly standard accompaniment with antibiotics prescriptions nowadays. C-diff isn’t something to tempt.