starting strength gym

Thread: Rethinking Macros

Default Rethinking Macros

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coach Robert!

I posted yesterday in the Programming thread that I failed on my deadlift set at 260lbs. I got 4 reps. After dragging all the pertinent information out of me, the general consensus is that I am not eating enough. This included coach Rip. So, I have decided to redirect my inquiry to you for your further guidance.

Here is my background again:

44 yo male
    6'2"
    245lbs -10lbs from start of NLP
    About 30% BF
    Multiple Sclerosis (Not a concern right now, just included for full disclosure)
    Active Duty Army (I only include this because BF is a consideration. The Army tape test is kind to me. Tape test gets me at 24%. Bod Pod gets me at about 30%)
    I have been training consistently for about 4 weeks.
    I just got over a battle with the flu where I missed four workouts over a week and a half. I am still not feeling 100%. I have completed two workouts since starting back.

My lifts when starting NLP:
    Press: 65lbs
    BP: 95lbs
    Squat: 95lbs
    DL: 185lbs

Current Lifts after reduction following the flu:
    Press: 105lbs
    BP: 155lbs
    Squat: 155lbs
    DL:255lbs

My current macros are 2259 cals, 220g Protein, 250g Carbs, 50g Fat

I came to these numbers from a combination of what you have shared with me previously on this forum and guidance that you have given others on this forum.

My main question is how do you think I should proceed nutritionally given the history I have just laid out? Please feel free to ask for any other pertinent information that I may have left out that would help you formulate your advice.

Thank you for what you do and thank you in advance for your input!

David why haven't you hired a coach yet lol? It may be in your best interest at least for the short term so you can stop getting in your own way with this. Anyhow, you're 6'2" and 250 g carbohydrate is probably not enough to do what you're trying to do here. Scale that up over 300 g/d and see what that does for you. Given your lifts and body weight, I'm guessing if you needed more fat you can tap into your fat stores. In short, moar carbs!

Thanks coach. I truly appreciate your input. You are 100% correct that I am getting in my own way. $ is the main reason for not hiring a coach. We are a single income family with 4 kids at home.

Hey coach, let's say I stop worrying about BF% for the Army (odds are I will be medically retired within the next 2 years as injuries are unlikely to allow me to complete the new Army PT test). Given my stats above, would you still recommend the same macros or make changes since I wouldn't be worrying about BF and then cut once I get my baseline strength where it needs to be?

I'm sorry to hear that man. I'd say the macros would be the same and you'd have to experiment with more/less. You're at a good weight for your current level of strength and age so I don't know that getting up to 275 would add any value to your lifts. You just really need to train consistently, avoid injury as much as you can, and get real strong.

Got it coach. Thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome David!