starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition after HIIT Session

Default Nutrition after HIIT Session

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 65 years old and slowly getting back into shape. Doing Starting Strength and every other day doing some mild HIIT consisting of a 20 minute walking session--2 minute moderate warm-up walk followed by 16 "splits" of 20 seconds fast walking followed by 40 seconds of slower walking then finishing up with a 2 minute cool-down walk. The problem is that I am STARVING about an hour after doing this and can easily eat too much thus destroying the benefit of the calories lost.
    The research I did said HIIT should reduce appetite but it has had the opposite effect on me. I try to stay hydrated so I don't think a lack of water is the problem.
    The exercise is certainly helping me get back in shape as I can walk all across the grocery store now without getting winded but not sure how to battle this calorie issue.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks for sharing Danny. Isn't it interesting that research doesn't always line up with reality? Biological variability at best.

Anyhow, I'd definitely move most of your carbohydrates to the post-workout window since you know you will be hungry AND pile on the vegetables and water to enhance fullness. This should get the job done. How often are you eating vegetables?

Thanks, Robert! Certainly not eating enough vegetables so will correct that! Much better for me than grabbing that candy bar or package of cookies.

If you keep your protein, vegetable, fiber, and water intake up you shouldn't run into too many problems with hunger. Hope this helps!