starting strength gym

Thread: Box squats for limited ankle ROM: Why?

Default Box squats for limited ankle ROM: Why?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have quite a limited ROM with pain in my right ankle from previous injury/surgery that makes squats quite a challenge. I continue to work on them but sometimes feel i am doing more harm then good; sometimes back tweaks and overdeveloped left leg mainly. I have read on this site and others about box squats as an alternative for those with limited ROM/ankle fusion. I understand the box squat allows for wider stance/more vertical shin but these can be replicated in the normal squat stance so why, then, would one want to use the box?
    In what other way does the box squat help (if it in fact does) those with range restrictions develop strength from this movement pattern?
    I ask because when I have used a box squat I have often done so with my normal stance, normal depth, and still find it to be less painful/restrictive then a traditional back squat. What would account for this?

What is the ROM of your ankle?

I do not have the degrees of dorsiflexion (Just saw an ortho and we discussed it but I cannot recall) but I can, in fact, get my knee slightly past my toes when unloaded, which should be fine for the low bar squat as described. However, adding a bar/weights seems to limit the range and increase pain at the talus/tibial area. It starts to feel "jammed" up and the pain increases as depth increases even after shin/back angle is set for the descent. I end up twisting at the hips towards the bottom with my left knee darting forward past the right knee to hit depth. This is more pronounced if I lift in the evening vs. mornings as I tend to lose ROM throughout the day.
    I feel like my right leg is just along for the ride and most of the work is getting down by the right leg.

Are you wearing squat shoes with a heel?

I sure am. They have a 1.2" heel.

You can squat normally. You just have to learn how.

starting strength coach development program
    Music to my ears. I will keep at it and try to post a form check video to see where my error may lie. Thanks for the replies.