starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 76 year old olympic weightlifter

Default 76 year old olympic weightlifter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings friends,
    I have found these forums so interesting and informative that i am going to join in.
    When i was retrenched at age 64, i started preps for a Masters Olympic weightlifting career. I had done some training when younger, but had never gotten strong (still haven't).
    After 2 years practicing by myself in the country, i went down to the city to be tested if i was able to lift in contests without hurting myself.
    In the years since i have slowly improved, & gotten respect from the young tigers.
    So i will be posting my training somewhere on this site. The "elderly" don't seem to post their training here, so i suppose i better do it under 'competitive lifters'. At least it will give them a laugh.

Regardless of your background have you gone through LP? Do you have the books? LP is step one and should be posted on Starting Strength.

Wellcome 76now, carsons right, just do the novice program, skip the heavy Olifts for a while, then when your done with the novice training go back and enjoy the strength results on the OL.

Thank you carson and 57bergstrm for your input.
    Yes, i have Starting Strength and Practical Programming. I have studied and practiced the teachings.
    Following Rip's advice, i switched from High bar back squat to LBBS, because it made sense to me, although every olympic lifting coach in the world says high bar is the only useful exercise for lifters.
    I have watched all the Starting Strength training vids, articles, and podcasts.
    I do not bench press now, because it busted up my shoulder, which still troubles me. In my training i do presses, deadlifts, power cleans, and LBBS.
    So, friends, i am not a power-house, but i ain't a novice.

God bless you. I hope I can still lift with confidence in six years. Besides, I rarely argue with my elders.
    Last edited by carson; 07-02-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Sounds great, how do you like the results on the O-lifts if you still do them?

I rarely argue with my elders.
    carson ! we are grumpy old men, and say what we think, and don't care what people think about us.
    but i appreciate that gracious remark.

how do you like the results on the O-lifts if you still do them?
    Still do them? You betcha !
    The bunnies at the fitness gym where i train are very impressed with my flexibility, and the stuff i do.

The physical training effects of the olympic lifts are well documented. All sorts of athletes and team sports utilize them in their training now. Ahrrnold has put out a u-tube recommending all bodybuilders start with them.

Personally, on me, my traps have never looked so good. I never had a V shape, although i could do 21 chin behind neck - i was straight up and down. But now i have great lats and V. When i walk on the beach my arms brush across my lats every step. An' i got guns ...
    i think the lats come from the snatch.

The great development effect of the OL's comes from the explosive contractions that occur. This really hits the type 2 fibres, the ones that will give you the most size.
    The deadlift and squat - tremendous exercises- develop their force relatively slowly, so you get things like 8 second deadlifts.
    I think the OL's, or a training that can duplicate their effect, are a necessity for complete physical culture.

I think your absolutely right, I like your attitude, I hope I'll be the same when Im 76, its only ten more years [emoji12]

I'll be the same when Im 76, its only ten more years
    You sure will! As you already know, each year in turn goes faster at our age.

Well, Brothers, i am going to try to enter my training on the 'Competitive Lifter Training Logs'.

I don't have the qualifications of a 400 lb squat, which is pretty average for these guys, but i have set more than 80 state records in my 12 year career as a Masters Olympic Weightlifter, and hold the state records in the 65-69 year old, 70-74 year old, 75-79 year old groups, and in the 77 k, 85 k, and 94 k classes.

And i received a message from Glen Pendlay once, saying i was inspiring, & showed there was life after 40.

starting strength coach development program
    Greetings fellow fossils.
    Just touching base with the results of 6 months of going heavy.
    prior to that i had done a long block of light, high set, high rep work for conditioning, endurance, and prehab. Next i will do 6 months of 10x10 work, again to forestall any injury potential.
    The PC results i am after this year is trimming down to very good definition. On Jan 1 i weighed 91.2 k. Now i am 82.4, and reduced my waist by 4.25 inches.
    Coming out of the light training period, i started a 4 way whole body split, training twice a week. The O.L.'s and one form of breathing squat were done weekly. The other power exercises, and bodybuilding flexing exercises were done once a fortnight.
    At my age statistics decree a 1% loss in power in 6 months, but i was able to very slowly, steadily increase resistance over the time. The weight loss didn't help one bit.

The breathing squat went from 80 k to 92 k.
    The paused breathing squat went from 70 k for 15, up to 25. Then increased to 75 for 15, and then 16.
    Power JBN went from 20 k for 5 to 35 for 5.
    Paused front sq 40 k/5 to 57.5/5.
    Thumbless Romanian D.L. 50 k/10 to 75/10.
    JBN 20 k/5's to 40 k/5.
    Jerk Thrust 40 k/5's to 60/5.
    Clean Pulls 40 k/5's to 60/5.
    Olympic D.L. 70 k/5 to 105/4.
    Snatch Pulls 40 k/5 to 55/5.

On the flexing exercises i added one rep to one of the 3 sets each time, going up in weight if it was appropriate.
    Lat machine 100 lbs/10 to 130/10.
    Tricep pressdowns 70 lb/10 to 100/8.
    One arm rows 18 k/ 10's to 3x13.
    Horizontal leg press heels raise 150 lbs/15 to 180/15.
    Skull crushers 15 k for 10's to 20 k/ 3x12.
    Curls 20 k for 10's to 3x14.
    Rows 120 lb for 10's to 130/ 3x13.
    One arm military press. 8 k/ 10's to 14.13.13.
    Incline curls 8 k's 10's to 13's.
    Single leg heels raise 8 k/10's to 10 k/ 3x13.
    Cable crunch 100 lb/10's to 140/10's.

Keep well, friends.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast