starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 76 year old olympic weightlifter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Nicely done!

Thank you for your kind words, Cheesepuff.
    I will be back in 6 months, age 77, to report on the results from my new program.

77 NOW

Greetings fellow Aged.

Just popped back after 6 months of light 10x10 training, this done to avoid the injuries that seem to come from always pushing for PR's every week.

Over the 6 months i held my bodyweight to around 82 k. I can easily bulk up nowadays, but aged skin doesn't shrink like it used to, and i don't want a future of loose abdominal skin.

My breathing squat went from 20 with 92 k to 98 k.
    Paused breathing squat from 75 k for 16, to 25, and then 80 k for 15, then 16.
    Horizontal Leg Press Heels raise from 170 lb for 15 to 180 lb for 17.
    Swiss ball rolling crunch ins from 3x10 to 3x20.
    Stationary jerk behind neck from 22.5 k for 10, among 10 sets, to 35 k for 10, among the 10 sets, and 37.5 k for 5+3.
    Rowing machine from 110 lb for 10, among 10 sets to 140 lb for 10, among 10 sets.
    Snatch - a bunch of singles with 25 k to a bunch of doubles with 32.5 k.
    Power clean + jerk. Singles with 30 k to doubles with 40 k.
    Press. 25 k for 10, among 10 sets, to 35 k for 10, and 37.5 for 5+4.
    Pulldowns 100 lb for 10, among 10 sets, to 130 lb.
    Squat 60 k for 10, among 10 sets, to 90 k.

I do not follow the Starting Strength protocol of long rests between sets, as my sport only allows up to 2 minutes rest between attempts, so you gotta be in shape for it.

On Monday i start a 6 month block of heavy low rep, low sets.

Your user name has expired.

Awesome! Do you have any videos of you training or competing?

Your user name has expired.
    Ouch! You really know how to hurt a guy!
    Aging is a constant annoyance, but the day i stop i'm going to be really upset.

Do you have any videos of you training or competing?
    Greetings misterponytail. Thank you for reading & visiting. i am technologically challenged, so i can't video my training. My training log is in the Competitive Lifter section.
    There is a fair number of pictures of my lifting & the odd video in my facebook. If you want to go to the trouble of looking them up i am
    John Humphrys
    Adelaide
    South Australia.
    Thank you for your kind remark.

Greetings to any and all interested.
    This is a report on my last 6 calendar months of going heavy. The training time was impacted by a month overseas holiday, a week of contest preparation, & 4 missed workouts due to gym closures and family sickness. So it was about 4 months training time in the 6 months.
    The progress was -
    Breathing Squat 20 reps with 99 k to 104 k.
    Paused Breathing Squat 17 reps with 80 k to 23 reps.
    Squat 100 k for 5 to 115 for 5.
    Olympic Deadlift 90 k for 5 to 107.5 k for 5.
    Press 35 k x 5, and 37.5 k for 3x3, to 37.5 x5 and 40 x 3 and 45 x 1.
    Press on back 35 k x 5 to 50 x 5.
    power snatch 27.5 k for 2 sets 3, to 32.5 for 3.
    power clean 45 k for 2 sets of 2, to 47.5 for 2 and 50 for 1.
    clean pulls 60 k for 3, to 75 k for 3.
    jerk triples 35 k to 37.5 k.
    power JBN 30 k for 3 sets of 5, to 40 for 5 and 42.5 for 4.

and my single joint flexing exercises -
    SLHR 10 k for 3 sets of 10, to 14 k for 2 sets of 18.
    face down incline lateral raises. 3 k's for 3 x 10, to 4 k's for 2 x 18.
    conc curl 8 k for 3 x10, to 8 k for 18 and 10 k for 17.
    Zottman curl 8 k's for 3 x 10, to 10 k's for 16 + 15.
    Ab roller 2 x 5, to 17 + 16.

Now I fully realize that a younger-ish trainee would make those gains in a week. But, hey, I am in the grip of sarcopenia, getting close to 78, and definitely not what I used to be.
    I used to be able to move some serious weight relative to what I could rep with, but now ….

For 2 years have ruthlessly kept my weight to about 84 k by 5/2 diet. Really my body tries to put on 1 lb a week, but I don't let it to avoid putting on fat around internal organs, which is apparently a lethal no-no.

For the last couple of years it was my way to follow a serious period of heavy training with a serious period of recovery, healing, & preparation for the next heavy cycle.
    In the past it might have been 6 months of 10 x 10, or body comp, or PHA.
    Now this is manifestly excessive for the average trainee, and I should probably cut it down.

This time i am going to play it by ear with a new experiment, which might have to be changed, depending on what happens.
    OK, the trial workout – all sets with easy weights, but on the 4 lifts over the course of the week, each will be 5 singles, and 5 x 5, and 5 x 10.
    Yep, 15 sets. That could possibly kill me, and have to be abandoned, but,

in my history, living in the country, once I did a daily set of about 10 chins behind neck, which went on for some months, then one day, feeling good, I tried out and did 21, a best ever.
    Another time, I did a once a week 20 sets of pushups , with one minutes rest between each. When it was time to tryout, I did 60 reps, where before my best was 35. I know, Pussy, but I have long arms and my pushups always sucked.

So I hope the many sets over multiple rep ranges will improve what I can do, in time. If I can handle the workload, I will increase the weights as I go, but nowhere near max.

I do think it is foolish of anyone to constantly push for new PR weights, for years, with never a rest phase. It is not the way of Nature – Spring and Summer is growth and fruitage : Autumn and Winter is rest and recovery. Daytime is activity : Nightime is repair and restoration.
    Disobey the Laws of Nature at your peril.
    I can give you lots of sad stories of those who thought otherwise.

I think with your experience you know what's best for you.I've heard this called instinctive training. I've also read going all out all the time leads to injury and setbacks no matter what age we are.You seem to have found a good plan.

Love to hear you're still doing the olympic lifts! Do you have any joint issues (knees, ankles, etc.)? Any lessons on how to avoid them, or deal with them?

starting strength coach development program
    Welcome aboard. Keep us current.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast