starting strength gym
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Elderly Thread of Awesome

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentpadna View Post
    Geez. You guys are inspiring and humbling....makes me wonder if there should be a thread called "The Elderly Thread of Mediocre". J/K. Although I'm well behind most of you in the numbers, I have only done a lifting program once in my life. I started it about 9 months ago. Never thought I'd be Squatting close to 300 pounds for reps (currently at 280), Benching 200+ for reps (currently at 205) or dead lifting 350+ at my age (55) with complete lack of conditioning and strength when I started.

Looking forward to posting some milestones in 2018. Great thread.
    Your gains for only nine months of lifting is nothing less than stupendous, Silentpadna. Just wait until you're 60 and looking back at where you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentpadna View Post
    Geez. You guys are inspiring and humbling....makes me wonder if there should be a thread called "The Elderly Thread of Mediocre". J/K. Although I'm well behind most of you in the numbers, I have only done a lifting program once in my life. I started it about 9 months ago. Never thought I'd be Squatting close to 300 pounds for reps (currently at 280), Benching 200+ for reps (currently at 205) or dead lifting 350+ at my age (55) with complete lack of conditioning and strength when I started.

Looking forward to posting some milestones in 2018. Great thread.
    Well done Padna! Watch out 2018....Padna is coming for you! (quietly)

I’m a little behind you guys, I did my first linear progression novice workout this morning. Squat 5x3x115, Bench 5x3x45 (injured shoulder) and Deadlift 5x3x145.
    I’ll be 59 in a few weeks, and am an absolute newb to weight training, so those are all PRs for me!

Quote Originally Posted by sinker View Post
    I’m a little behind you guys, I did my first linear progression novice workout this morning. Squat 5x3x115, Bench 5x3x45 (injured shoulder) and Deadlift 5x3x145.
    I’ll be 59 in a few weeks, and am an absolute newb to weight training, so those are all PRs for me!
    We all started sometime. Don't miss workouts. Persistence trumps everything else.

A fantastic start and a great set of PRs to do it with!

We all start somewhere and the cool thing about LP is that you set PR's all the time. Enjoy this training!

I posted something like this in E&P, but probably fits better here.

54 years old, dabbled in LP in last 3 months of 2017 as I was putting my equipment together and figuring out some of the lifts. Started in earnest in Jan 2018. Lifting in my garage, using what I have (e.g. using saw horses for squat safety ;-) ).
    Current Numbers: SQ:190, OP:135, DL:245

Things the Starting Strength book didn't prepare me for:

1) I'm cheap, but recently skipped over the least expensive options at The Cracker Barrel to order the Sirloin Steak because, you know...protein...training.

2) The suit that was a little loose on my 5 months ago is now a little to snug in the shoulders. Now I have to get my clothes tailored.

3) When my wife compares my developing physique to that of a silverback gorilla -- and I thought that was awesome.

Benching 200+ for reps (currently at 205) or dead lifting 350+ at my age (55) with complete lack of conditioning and strength when I started.
    Those are amazing numbers after 9 months. By the time you're 60 I bet you'll either be close to or have surpassed a 300+ bench and a 400+ squat.

Dear Lord, stay away from E&P! It leaves an unwashable stain on your soul!
    Awesome results in a very short timeframe. Keep it up because the ride keeps getting better from here!

3) It IS awesome your wife compared you to a silverback!

My wife once asked me to never come back to the school where she works. After I left, other teachers would tell her how lucky she was to not be married to an overweight or potbellied man like most of them had! Mrs. Oldster had to explain to me how embarrassing it was. One even asked if I could even put on my own shirt (no kidding), or whether my wife had to help me!

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlifted 182.5kg for eight tonight.

Wayyyy outside what I thought I was capable of at this point in my training.

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast