starting strength gym
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Elderly Thread of Awesome

Default Barbell succeeds where cardio fails - Type 2 Diabetes is gone.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Four months of cardio-boxing classes and losing 40lbs: Minimal improvement in blood sugar, still diabetic, 1000mg Metformin/day. Three overuse injuries.
    Four months of weights and losing another 30lbs: Blood sugar normal (spot 93, A1C 5.3). Cholesterol way down too. And on half the drugs (500mg/day metformin). No injuries.

Price of $1M term life insurance policy cut in half (enough to pay for my gym).

Gonna talk to the doc next week about getting me off Atorvastatin and Metformin (cholesterol was low too, but the boxing classes did that...). If I interpret the "usual benefits" of statins and metformin correctly, my blood sugar and cholesterol should still be in the normal range without the drugs, but I won't be officially "not diabetic" until they take me off the drugs and I can prove that.

-->Adam

P.S. My lifts still suck. Working on it...

Nice work!

Excellent. Strength training is the cornerstone of the exercise prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    Four months of cardio-boxing classes and losing 40lbs: Minimal improvement in blood sugar, still diabetic, 1000mg Metformin/day. Three overuse injuries.
    Four months of weights and losing another 30lbs: Blood sugar normal (spot 93, A1C 5.3). Cholesterol way down too. And on half the drugs (500mg/day metformin). No injuries.

Price of $1M term life insurance policy cut in half (enough to pay for my gym).

Gonna talk to the doc next week about getting me off Atorvastatin and Metformin (cholesterol was low too, but the boxing classes did that...). If I interpret the "usual benefits" of statins and metformin correctly, my blood sugar and cholesterol should still be in the normal range without the drugs, but I won't be officially "not diabetic" until they take me off the drugs and I can prove that.

-->Adam

P.S. My lifts still suck. Working on it...

Default 18 month turnaround

In May 2017 my A1c was 9.8 for the 2nd time. My weight was up to 250. I had taken two years off from training by continuing to tell myself that I would start again next week. I started on basal insulin in addition to the oral meds. I’ve been a type 2 diabetic for 15 + years and I didn’t want to be here. I started tracking my food again and walking for 30 minutes after every meal. In late July I started lifting again. In October I became an SSOC client. In January I added nutritional counseling.

Today my A1c is steady at 5.8. I weigh 202, injectable insulin is a memory, I take a minimal dose of Metformin and Losartan my waist is under 40” and I have PRs to brag about: 290 lb squat, 140 lb press and 325 lb deadlift; all singles. Not bad for a 63 yr old

Last edited by David Clark; 11-23-2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Fixed videos

Quote Originally Posted by David Clark View Post
    Today my A1c is steady at 5.8. I weigh 202, injectable insulin is a memory, I take a minimal dose of Metformin and Losartan my waist is under 40” and I have PRs to brag about: 290 lb squat, 140 lb press and 325 lb deadlift; all singles. Not bad for a 63 yr old man.
    Nice lifts! We'll have to take your word for it though as all your videos stop before the lifts are made...

In May 2017 my A1c was 9.8 for the 2nd time. My weight was up to 250. I had taken two years off from training by continuing to tell myself that I would start again next week. I started on basal insulin in addition to the oral meds. I’ve been a type 2 diabetic for 15 + years and I didn’t want to be here. I started tracking my food again and walking for 30 minutes after every meal. In late July I started lifting again. In October I became an SSOC client. In January I added nutritional counseling.

Today my A1c is steady at 5.8. I weigh 202, injectable insulin is a memory, I take a minimal dose of Metformin and Losartan my waist is under 40” and I have PRs to brag about: 290 lb squat, 140 lb press and 325 lb deadlift; all singles. Not bad for a 63 yr old man.

Good job - and in only 1 1/2 years!

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Nice lifts! We'll have to take your word for it though as all your videos stop before the lifts are made...
    I fixed the videos

I fixed the videos
    Nice grind on the squat! Looks like the press and the deadlift had strength to spare!

Great work, David and Adam! Really inspiring.

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday morning fun.
    Age 68
    weight 30lbs shy of a man (170)
    300 lbs on the bar
    Length of realization block - 17 seconds
    Critiques welcome

YouTube

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast