starting strength gym
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Elderly Thread of Awesome

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David Clark View Post
    In May 2017 my A1c was 9.8 for the 2nd time. My weight was up to 250. I had taken two years off from training by continuing to tell myself that I would start again next week. I started on basal insulin in addition to the oral meds. I’ve been a type 2 diabetic for 15 + years and I didn’t want to be here. I started tracking my food again and walking for 30 minutes after every meal. In late July I started lifting again. In October I became an SSOC client. In January I added nutritional counseling.

Today my A1c is steady at 5.8. I weigh 202, injectable insulin is a memory, I take a minimal dose of Metformin and Losartan my waist is under 40” and I have PRs to brag about: 290 lb squat, 140 lb press and 325 lb deadlift; all singles. Not bad for a 63 yr old

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but congrats. Very impressive grind on the squat.

Sold an old weight set to work on behalf of daughters ex.
    Two guys in their early 30’s asked if I could show them some stuff. I’m 55 (56 next July).

One of the guys does some form of self defence (used to have long hair and inks, so in my head he’s the Game of Thrones guy) and the other has claimed to be a semi pro boxer (but has a significant lack of proof), so thought this will be interesting.

Started with deadlift, (boxer guy remained seated for the two lower weighted sets). Empty bar and give constant instructions. Load bar in increments of 20kg as I do at home. Got to 120kg plus bar, Game of Thrones guy calls quits. Boxer guy finally has a go and does it with a struggle and says “no more”. I load up to the maximum weights available approx 160kg (slightly short of my current max) and pull it with ease.

Then we go to squats. Empty bar, then 20kg each end. Both struggle right away, GoT guy, goes for next weight up, gives in right after unracking. Boxer guy does the same. I add more again and show them old man strength.

Didn’t quite get the full story, but I hear them telling someone about me while in shower after work shift was over.

Old man strength rules!

Did a 370 Comp Bench today!

Hi all, It's my 70th birthday today. I went out to the garage and squatted 360 lbs for a double, followed by 2 sets of 5 at 325 lbs. The 360 lift is a pr. Last year at this time, I could barely manage 345 for a single. So I am very happy.

happy birthday bill,
    good work there.

I have a year to go Bill and hope I can get close to those numbers. What a great birthday present for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbfast View Post
    I have a year to go Bill and hope I can get close to those numbers. What a great birthday present for yourself!
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Next Monday, I am going to try for a dead lift pr. Wish me luck.

Happy belated birthday, Bill!

I'm finally back after many fits and starts. Been lifting solid for 10 weeks now, using a modified program (1 lift a day). I am not getting beat up this time, and the workouts are short enough, I don't miss many at all (missed 7 in just over 70 days).

Anyway, have set new PRs (granted, LP PRs, so nothing impressive) in everything but squat so far, and today's squat workout was just 1 jump (5#) from tieing my PR, so that's close. And all that with 10# less bodyweight!

Mostly, I just want to encourage other geezers. Don't give up, and if you're off the bandwagon, jump back on. It's worth it

Finally hit a 300 DL today (for a set of 5)!

It's amazing what happens when you stick with the NLP for a while, and don't keep getting distracted

starting strength coach development program
    Another story from work. Recently one of the shift supervisors was talking about his training. He mentioned something (can’t remember what now but I think it was about leg/arm/back/or chest day), but I replied “I just do six compound exercises, over three workouts, don’t use wraps, straps, belt, or shoes, I’m in and out of my gym at home in x amount of minutes and I can lift x amount, not bad for a guy who’s 56 this year”. He’s the type of guy to dismiss stuff if he hasn’t thought of it first. I didn’t push the point any further and left it there.

I get a messenger message from him saying “started doing compound exercises, I’m fucked!” (He meant as in knackered in a good way).

Yesterday he asked me to do a workout with him at work (a few months ago I sold some old weights and Olympic bar to guys at work), so I could check his technique.

So we did deadlift and (after telling me his form is good) I loaded up the bar in 40kg increments, he bailed out at trying 120kg plus bar (I think it’s a ladies/training size bar(?) as it feels narrower than mine). I then added what was left of the small amount of plates, and pulled a couple of reps. Downside is that we work in a waste plant and the bar was slippery with dirt and grease (I guess from the mech techs that use the weights), and I almost had to drop it a few inches from the floor. I had a sparky looking impressed from the doorway, and the supervisor telling him “he owned me, he’s strong as an ox!”. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

He complained that he didn’t have straps otherwise he could’ve done it, but he has “small hands”. Ffs I said forgot straps, use chalk (“oh there’s plenty of chalk, but I have small hands so use straps for every exercise”), build up your hand strength that way. Lots of head shaking as he couldn’t process that simple advice.

We move onto bent over rows, using half the weight I do at home, he’s struggling cos of his “small hands” and he’s bobbing his head up and down like a chicken pecking at corn. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I think he felt a little defeated at the end [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Old man strength rules ha ha

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast