starting strength gym
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Elderly Thread of Awesome

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    I think this is worth bragging about.

Today I competed in the 2020 Phoenix Classic at Weights & Plates, Robert Santana's gym. I'm 59, 5'10", weighed out at 98.3kg (216lbs).

Set a 33 lb PR in squat with a final lift of 190kg/418lb. I uploaded to YouTube but the AC/DC playing in the background got it blocked. :-/

5 lb PR on the press @ 82kg/180.4lb. Forgot to video.

Just under 20 lb PR for deadlift with a pull of 236 kg/519 lb:

236kg/519 lb Deadlift @ 93.4kg, Phoenix Classic, 10/31/20 - YouTube

I'm gonna feel that deadlift tomorrow!

-RJP

Quick edit on the squat video to remove sound:

190kg/418lb Squat @ 93.4kg, at Phoenix Classic, 10/31/20 - YouTube

-RJP
    Extremely impressed.

I think this is worth bragging about.

Today I competed in the 2020 Phoenix Classic at Weights & Plates, Robert Santana's gym. I'm 59, 5'10", weighed out at 98.3kg (216lbs).

Set a 33 lb PR in squat with a final lift of 190kg/418lb. I uploaded to YouTube but the AC/DC playing in the background got it blocked. :-/

5 lb PR on the press @ 82kg/180.4lb. Forgot to video.

Just under 20 lb PR for deadlift with a pull of 236 kg/519 lb:

236kg/519 lb Deadlift @ 93.4kg, Phoenix Classic, 10/31/20 - YouTube

I'm gonna feel that deadlift tomorrow!

-RJP

Quick edit on the squat video to remove sound:

190kg/418lb Squat @ 93.4kg, at Phoenix Classic, 10/31/20 - YouTube

-RJP
    Dayum son, that's nice work!

Thanks guys.

Looking through you guys' logs is inspirational.

Browndog, great news about the cancer check up but a bummer about the quad issue! Best of luck with the recovery from that. You know what to do.

64. 5'11" , 225. Squats going great. Three sets of 5 today at 335. But deadlift seems to be stalling. A few months back couldn't get to 5 at 350 and was cheating by doing touch-and-go, so reset at 325 and am not really progressing after 4 weeks. Doing BB Rows in lieu of deads on medium days. Was doing H-L-M, but recently switched to H-M to better manage volume.
    Welcome thoughts to get deads moving again.

I'll answer my own question. I'm about 5 years into this. Now doing H-L-M every third day. Regular 2-day rest seems to agree with me; making progress every week. H = Squats max now 350 5-x3, BB Rows 5x3; L = Squats at 75% 5x3, Deadlift 1RM now 370; M = Squats at 90% 5X3, Deadlifts 337.5 x 5. Seems to be working fine, but if you see issues down the road, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbronsdon View Post
    I'll answer my own question. I'm about 5 years into this. Now doing H-L-M every third day. Regular 2-day rest seems to agree with me; making progress every week. H = Squats max now 350 5-x3, BB Rows 5x3; L = Squats at 75% 5x3, Deadlift 1RM now 370; M = Squats at 90% 5X3, Deadlifts 337.5 x 5. Seems to be working fine, but if you see issues down the road, let me know.
    Nice going there, jim. I've had a lot of success with the HLM program as well. I'm doing a variation of the basic cycling routine in BBRx (Example 24-16), also with two days off in between workouts. On H days I do heavy squats (3x5, 3x3, or 3x1, depending where I am in the cycle), press (I'm fiddling around right now with bench and press programming) and LTEs. L days are light squats, 10% down from the heavy day, 1x5 (I hate volume, plus I do heavy deadlifts the same day), followed by bench and then deadlift (1x5, 1x3, or 1x1, again depending on where I am in the cycle). M day is medium squats, 5% down from H day, 2x5, press again and then chins, 3xAMRAP. I am thinking of making the H squats one top set followed by a couple of back off sets, as recently my lower back feels a bit fried on the off days, and maybe not deadlift every cycle, throw in some rows instead (but I love deadlifts, so I don't know).

Nice going there, jim. I've had a lot of success with the HLM program as well. I'm doing a variation of the basic cycling routine in BBRx (Example 24-16), also with two days off in between workouts. On H days I do heavy squats (3x5, 3x3, or 3x1, depending where I am in the cycle), press (I'm fiddling around right now with bench and press programming) and LTEs. L days are light squats, 10% down from the heavy day, 1x5 (I hate volume, plus I do heavy deadlifts the same day), followed by bench and then deadlift (1x5, 1x3, or 1x1, again depending on where I am in the cycle). M day is medium squats, 5% down from H day, 2x5, press again and then chins, 3xAMRAP. I am thinking of making the H squats one top set followed by a couple of back off sets, as recently my lower back feels a bit fried on the off days, and maybe not deadlift every cycle, throw in some rows instead (but I love deadlifts, so I don't know).
    Nice going for you as well. I began all this because of 40 years of back troubles. Has helped tremendously in the sense of eliminating the debilitating spasms and multiple days/weeks every year of walking hunched over. But now I am experiencing a lot of stiffness in the back most mornings. Takes an hour or so to get comfortable. Don't know if I'm pushing my limits in volume or intensity, or need to add some stretching or other palliative care.

So I had a pretty successful meet this past Sunday. Competed in the USAPL Arizona State Championships, went 8 for 9, set all new PRs, tied the Masters 3a, -100kg squat record at 197.5 kg / 434.5 lb and broke the deadlift record with a pull of 240 kg / 528 lb (previous record was 237.5 kg). I got 250 kg off the floor, but that was about it. Also benched 110 kg / 242 lbs. Body weight of 95.3 kg / 209.6 lb, turning 61 in May. Actually not feeling too sore or tired today. Shout out to Coach Santana for all his help in getting me prepped for the meet and fellow gym member Andrew who helped me out at the meet, giving me a hand with my warmups and FaceTiming my lifts to Santana, who could not be there in person.

Here's the squat: USAPL 2022 Squat: 434.5 lb

Here's the DL. Let me preface this by saying I never, ever drop my deadlifts, always keep hands on until the bar hits the floor. Except, of course, this once, in competition. Fortunately, it wasn't dropped from the top and perhaps the plates obstructed the side judges' of my hands coming off the bar. I did get one red light, probably from the front judge. This was my second attempt so if I had gotten another red, I'm pretty sure I could have repeated the lift, maybe even slightly heavier, for my third attempt. Bonus feature, you get to see Santana's face as my buddy Andrew is on FaceTime with him in this video shot by my son.: USAPL Deadlift: 528 lbs
    Last edited by Jr_Geezer; 03-07-2022 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added DL video link

Congratulations, Rob! That is a gorgeous squat and you make it look so easy!

starting strength coach development program
    Terrific Lifting, Rob!

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast