starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Volume sensitivity: 2 sets good. 3 sets bad. Your experience?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by vernitron View Post
    Hi Randy

I am 62 yo male, 165 lb. Thought I would share what I do so you can perhaps see other possibilities. I had problems with recovery and injury and decided to change to a 4 day split that cycles over 10 days instead of 7.

M: Squat "Heavy", Press "Light"
    T: Bench "Heavy, Deadlift "Light"
    Th:Squat "Light", Press "Medium"
    F: Bench "Light",Deadlift "Medium"
    M: Squat "Medium",Press "Heavy"
    T: Bench "Medium",Deadlift "Heavy""

On Medium day I increase the weight, right now Squat is 2.5 lb, Bench is 1.25 lb, Press is 1.25 lb and Deadlift is 5 lb
    Medium day is 3 sets, 3 reps (Deadlift is 1 set 3 reps)
    Heavy day is 5 sets, 3 reps (Deadlift is 2 sets, 3 reps) ( same weight as Medium day)
    Light day is 2 sets of 5 and 1 set of 3, (Deadlift is 1 set of 5) each exercise is done at about 95% of the Heavy day

This has really helped me to continue progress, shorten my workout time and seemingly prevent injury (which I am prone to).

Current lifts are Squat:212.5, Bench 153.75, Press 77.5, Deadlift 205

Keep training

Vernon
    Hi Vernon,

Thank you so much for your input and for sharing your HML model.

I don't know how tall you are, but those numbers look really good to me at 165lbs and 62yo.

Simple solution if you can schedule it:

Lift every third day.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Simple solution if you can schedule it:

Lift every third day.
    Would that be a full body weight workout then?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbfast View Post
    Would that be a full body weight workout then?
    Yes

At my age (47), if I were a rank novice, I would run SS but I'd make the simple adjustment of going to the gym every third day and swop cleans for barbell rows. I would use the days off to get in HIIT once every 3-4 days too.

Now, if I were a 17 year old, I would absolutely do Strong lifts. I like SL because the program starts out at 5X5, then instead of resetting several times, transitions to 3 X 5 and when that becomes too much, goes to 3 X 3 to complete the novice phase. This makes more sense to me, as it allows more volume when the when the weights are light and titrates to high intensity, less volume at the latter stages of novice progression. I think that a young male's body can really take advantage of the initial 5 X 5 volume.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
    I am 58yo with relatively crappy genetics.(...)Thank you in advance for your insights.
    So, did you switch to 2 x 5? How is it going?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    So, did you switch to 2 x 5? How is it going?
    Hi David. Thank you for asking.

I took in the various suggestions and I am currently experimenting with what works best for me, 2x5 or 3x5 with more rest days in between, or 3x3.

While going through this experiment, my training partner noticed that as the weight increased on the squat I began cheating on my squat depth (not going to parallel) and my form was breaking up in all sorts of ways. More intense and longer-lasting lower back pain after each workout confirmed the form issues. I think this break of form had been creeping in for a few weeks. In was adding weight faster than I was able to do with good form and not going as deep.

So I am going through a major (20%) reset with an emphasis on very strict form (proper depth, proper back angle, etc.) This is a good time for a reset because I have 2 incredibly busy months at work coming up and I need to be healthy and energetic.

Dialing back is not fun, but I figured it's best to nip bad squat habits in the butt (pun intended.)

Thanks again for asking, I hope your training is going well!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
    Hi David. Thank you for asking.

Dialing back is not fun, but I figured it's best to nip bad squat habits in the butt (pun intended.)

Thanks again for asking, I hope your training is going well!
    There isn't a person past the novice phase who hasn't been humbled by the steel. Keep up the good work.

Have you read barbell prescription yet? Must read for over 40 strength trainers. If you can't afford the book, you can request the library to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    There isn't a person past the novice phase who hasn't been humbled by the steel. Keep up the good work.

Have you read barbell prescription yet? Must read for over 40 strength trainers. If you can't afford the book, you can request the library to buy it.
    Thank you 'gator.

Have I read The Barbell Prescription. No? I've studied it :-). I credit it (along with Rip and this forum) with giving me the most important motivation of all for getting stronger.

In fact, I have bought extra copies and given them to friends and colleagues. Sadly, most of them don't get it.

I should also add that the quality of the writing and the arguments is first class. Clear, convincing, ... and even fun in several places. A great, great book regadless of genre.

So thank you Dr. Sullivan!

Randy

PS I have bought, read, and re-read, every single book written by Rip or published by the Aasgard company. And, more importantly, I have FOLLOWED THE PROGRAM—at least as best as I could.

starting strength coach development program
    "The day after a workout with 3 working sets (and often the day after that), I feel anywhere from tired to wiped."

There is a weight at which this won't happen. You need to find it. Programs are designed to work at a measured mix of intensity and volume. You are struggling with adaptation to the level of volume, but struggling precedes adaptation. Assuming your diet, sleep, and exposure to other sources of stress are at the right levels, you should just dial back the weight and make small incremental gains while adhering to the program. You'll be amazed at where you are in a year!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast