starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Volume sensitivity: 2 sets good. 3 sets bad. Your experience?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Randy, I read through your posts and just a couple thoughts as I am volume sensitive as well at 49 years of age. One thing I didn't see or may have missed is how much protein you are getting and the quality. As we age we actually need much more than we did when we were younger and part of that is just that we don't process it as efficiently. Do some research and you can find some good recommendations on grams per lb of bodyweight. I've moved squats and deadlifts to monday and thursday. Sometimes I do a second deadlift in a week and sometimes I dont. I do remaining lifts bench, press, chins on MWF (or Sat). The extra time between squats help and believe me they drain me more than pulls do. I haven't decreased intensity workout to workout...the weight stays heavy...its the number on set/reps weekly that get altered. I've had luck with this as far as recovery and progress for some time. There will come a point that the squat will go to once weekly but I believe I have a way to go before then. I let my body tell me how much volume I can recover from but I tell my body how intense the workload will be. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
    I would caution you on this assumption. My experience was about the reverse, 70% fat gain and 30% LBM. It may be as you said for the 20-30 year old crowd.
    Exactly my experience too. I was arguing that with even a best case scenario weight gain for older, skinny guys is a slow progress if that gain is going to be useful for force production and not just an opportunity to shop for pants in a larger size waistline.

Randy - check out this gym as a closer alternative (Berkeley) to Sac for in person form and technique coaching. It used to be a SS gym but for various reason is now not. Still very good coaches. Barbell Training for Everyone | Bay Strength

starting strength coach development program
    careful with carb intake as on older man. You probably need to subtract about 15% of your carb intake and make it fats

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345