starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: should I change my squat to deadlift ratio?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Is a healthy male, age 25, 200 pounds and with average arm and leg dimensions with a deadlift of 235 and a squat of 435 OK in the starting strength model, as long as the deadlift is going up 5 pounds/session, assuming 20 pound squat and 5 pound deadlift increases?
    What about a male with a 600# deadlift and a 330# squat? Would you tell that lifter that their "benchmarks" are off? If so what would be your advice to a particular forum member who seems to love the fact that his deadlift is WAY higher than his squat? If you are ok with that... why so concerned with someone correcting an "imbalance" going in the other direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Add a volume, lighter dead lift day move on to intermediate. Get your DL checked out for technique-I see so many rushing through it at my gym and not setting up properly, probably because it's the lift that is least demanding of technique because it starts on the floor. All the other lifts crush you if you go wrong, but if you don't get the weight off the floor nothing nasty happens. Also remember that it often doesn't come straight up and requires a concerted number of seconds before it will be coaxed upwards. Shoes are another source of problems if you are lifting in big, squashy trainers -try barefoot.

Thanks Nockian,
    I wear minimalist shoes when I lift, the soles are thin and rather hard. I don't do squishy shoes with elevated heels, ever.

The point is well taken to look at volume and a program change as you suggest.

Couple of questions I didn't see asked (although I might have missed them):

1. Age/height/weight?
    2. Have you posted form videos of your squat and deadlift?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    Couple of questions I didn't see asked (although I might have missed them):

1. Age/height/weight?
    2. Have you posted form videos of your squat and deadlift?
    age 47, 5'9", 210 lbs
    I posted a DL form check video last summer (I think), and didn't get much feedback from it so it must not have been horrible.

Anyway since posting my original message I de-loaded my squat and went for more volume for about 2 weeks, and that seemed to do the trick.
    My DL and Bench both jumped 10 lbs almost magically. Maybe I was wearing myself out on squats at the start of my workout...? Yesterday's workout had me move up in my work set again to squat 290x5x3 and it seemed light. I did DL 305x5 and BP 235x5x3 which are new personal bests also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123