starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pathetic press problems

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by abg View Post
    I think it depends. If it is a new trainee, as sounds like the case of your wife, and that trainee is lifting 45lbs (or similar) for working set, then absolutely I would expect proper depth as a requirement to moving up the weight.

In cases where I've not quite hit depth with the empty bar (think within an inch or so of depth, not half squats), it was with a bar-only warm-up, and was due to the fact that I was not warmed up. Usually by my 2nd warm-up of 45lbs or maybe by 95lbs, I am at full depth, and if I were to go back to just the bar, it would be full depth. The issue here is NOT that I can't/don't go full depth with just the bar, it's that I have yet to perform the task that prepares my body for sets at full depth - the warm up. Also, I'm not advocating warm-ups at less than full depth. There's a good argument for not going beyond just the bar before you are getting full depth. For me, I know my body and know that if I didn't get it with just the bar, it will be there the next set.
    Thanks! Exactly what I meant.

starting strength coach development program
    OP: I am a 71 year old novice and use the SS app for my 3 day a week training. The Overhead Press technique described in the SS book is essential reading. Also, the videos in the app are very helpful for technique. For me, the OHP is the most challenging lift, and the SS technique is effective for my safety and progress.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123