starting strength gym

Thread: How Far can I expect to go @ 47 years Old?

Default How Far can I expect to go @ 47 years Old?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was previously an on and off gym bro. I started Linear Progression and it took forever to learn to properly do the lifts. My Bench LP ended around 270 lbs. My Press ended at 180 lbs. My Squat LP ended at around 335 lbs or so. I now do a 4 day split. My bench is at 280 lbs, press 190lbs, Squat at 350 and deadlift 435. All these by 5.

I have bicep tendonitis and knee tendonitis. The knee issue is under control and the bicep usually under control.

My question is, at 47 years old, how much more gains can I look to see? I wanted to know if there was an approx age where I would be seeing my limits due to age.

I started at age 49 (now 55). I continued to see gains for five years. My PR deadlift a few months ago was 235kg; when I started 5+ years ago, I was deadlifting 130kg. Of course everyone is different, and there are so many variables. But since you asked, perhaps my experience helps answer your question a little.

You're still young
    I know 50-60 year olds with 500-600 squats and deadlifts. I can comp (pause) bench 365 at 55 and DL 500+.

For the bicep tendinitis do some DB hammer curls.

Yonason more answered my Question. My question was how long can I gain on my lifts. I know a gent at my gym who squatted 700 @ 67 years old.

Hambrick felt that his father-in-law was done going up in the squat at 55 years old.

Yonason said he was putting #'s up until 54. Hopefully my boat is like that.

Thanks all for the input.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Brooklyn View Post
    Yonason more answered my Question. My question was how long can I gain on my lifts. I know a gent at my gym who squatted 700 @ 67 years old.

Hambrick felt that his father-in-law was done going up in the squat at 55 years old.

Yonason said he was putting #'s up until 54. Hopefully my boat is like that.

Thanks all for the input.
    If you're asking a progression potential question, including your height and weight is helpful.