starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method ID stalling

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1-2lbs of muscle per month is all that he will gain, unless he is a genetic freak or juicing. The fat he will gain will negatively affect his cardiovascular system, and make him feel like a tub of shit. 40lbs over the next 18-24 months will let him get stronger and minimize the negative consequences.

Let's try again: How do you know this?

You’re distracting from my point.. He can do as you suggested or as I, and end up the same long term outcome. Packing on fast fat as you advocate, works, but is not the best solution in this situation. So what do you disagree with, other than the type and rate of weight gain?

I'm increasing my caloric intake by eating popcorn and enjoying the entertainment value of this thread and eagerly anticipating next post!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim E View Post
    You’re distracting from my point.. He can do as you suggested or as I, and end up the same long term outcome. Packing on fast fat as you advocate, works, but is not the best solution in this situation. So what do you disagree with, other than the type and rate of weight gain?
    You have no point, because you don't know what you're talking about. At all.

1-2lbs of muscle per month is all that he will gain, unless he is a genetic freak or juicing. The fat he will gain will negatively affect his cardiovascular system, and make him feel like a tub of shit. 40lbs over the next 18-24 months will let him get stronger and minimize the negative consequences.
    If he were intermediate or advanced this argument will hold. The OP clearly has no history of weight gain in addition to his limited training experience. So is is plausible that he can gain 10-20 lb of lean mass over the course of the next year. Then take off the excess fat afterwards. The fat gain is unlikely to impact his CV system with a short-term gain like what we are suggesting and more so if the fat is not centrally distributed it is even less likely to impact the CV system negatively. Since we aren't suggesting that this guy increase his waist circumference into the 40s he should be fine. Increasing that body fat helps increase leverage as Andy eluded to. Leveraging that body fat in the short term may help him lift more in the long term. We have all seen it happen. Lastly, as Andy mentioned, this guy needs to eat a reasonably clean diet with some "unhealthy" meals mixed in to balance things out and drive calories up. The notion that he is going to gain 2 lb of lean mass and 38 lb of fat mass is unfounded and unlikely given his level of advancement. See below for relevant articles.

Calorie Needs for Barbell Training | Robert Santana

Body Composition for Barbell Training | Robert Santana

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    If he were intermediate or advanced this argument will hold. The OP clearly has no history of weight gain in addition to his limited training experience.
    I am not sure your estimate about my past is correct:
    I started barbell training (not always SS) two years ago and gained 15 kg of weight since then. I was lean and am lean again with visible abs. My body fat percentage increased and then decreased to the starting value, because with the higher amount of muscle it is harder for me to have a caloric surplus. I know this says nothing, but according to strenghlevel.com my deadlift and squat are more in the category of advanced than intermediate, not to mention beginner..

On the other hand, I agree I need to increase my caloric intake, gain weight (muscle and fat) in order to make better progress. A higher body fat percentage will work better, except for DL maybe.

This sounds like a response from one of the bodybuilding.com "bodybuilders" who constantly "bulk" from 160-175 over the course of half the year, then "cut" back down to 164 to show their new found gains, all because they are afraid their ribs will stop showing if they eat too much.

It sounds like a response from someone who has not been training people for 42 years and who has observed these things happen with thousands of men, yet who is somehow certain he is correct because he read this shit on the internet, but who nonetheless will not provide any evidence for his sillyass assertions after being asked repeatedly. And who, as a result, is being deleted.

starting strength coach development program
    The reports of untrained people gaining more than 0.3672lb/week of muscle mass DO NOT exist in science, therefore it is impossible to gain more than 0.3672lb/week of lean body mass.

This is the standpoint from which they are arguing with you Rip. But you already know that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast