starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift grip and sets/reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    I think Sean may have miss understood what you're currently doing. To clarify, you're currently deadlifting 1 set of 5 alternating with power cleans and chins and feel you can progress on LP but that your hook grip is the weak link?

A few things I'd try
    1) Work on your DOH grip. Do you do all warm-ups DOH? Work up to a single max-ish rep as part of your warm-up. You say you only do 6 warm up reps which isn't much. If your work weight is 245 I'd expect your warm-ups to look something like
    135x5 DOH
    185x3 DOH
    215-225x1 max DOH
    235x1 hook
    245x5 hook
    also hold onto the last rep as long as you can (don't go all out but hold on until it's moderately uncomfortable)

2) DB farmers walks. Just a set at the end of your workout
    3) Add kroc rows, maybe, if recovery allows
    4) If non of this helps then switch to 2x3
    Ah yes, only 6 reps warm ups.
    I wouldn't do your warm ups though.
    Mine would be:

2 sets of 5 @ 88lbs
    1 X 5 @ 132
    1 X 3 @ 176
    1 X 1 @ 220
    1 X 5 @ 245

All hook grip.

LisaK are you using a deadlift bar ? - I don't know what the diameter is exactly, but it's thinner than the standard squat bar and is easier to get your hands around. I have quite small hands and the fatter squat bar makes it difficult to get a firm grip. Also. Are you letting the bar hang in your fingers (ape grip), because if you are curling it higher in the palm then it has a tendency to roll out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    LisaK are you using a deadlift bar ? - I don't know what the diameter is exactly, but it's thinner than the standard squat bar and is easier to get your hands around. I have quite small hands and the fatter squat bar makes it difficult to get a firm grip. Also. Are you letting the bar hang in your fingers (ape grip), because if you are curling it higher in the palm then it has a tendency to roll out.
    I am using a power bar and I had thought about the diameter of it as adding to the problem. But it is what I have right now so I have to work with it. I have been thinking about getting a deadlift bar though. We'll see.
    I do think my grip is down far enough in my fingers. But maybe it's not as far down as I think so I will try to pay closer attention.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
    I am using a power bar and I had thought about the diameter of it as adding to the problem. But it is what I have right now so I have to work with it. I have been thinking about getting a deadlift bar though. We'll see.
    I do think my grip is down far enough in my fingers. But maybe it's not as far down as I think so I will try to pay closer attention.
    Thank you.
    The power bar will definitely develop grip strength. Also, because the bar has less whip, it doesn't bend as much when beginning the lift, consequently that makes it more difficult to pull-like standing on a small plate. That's one of the reasons many of us lift in bare feet -it gets us closer to the floor than squat shoes. In any case, even if the numbers aren't going up as fast with the power bar, you are still getting stronger. If you do eventually get a DL bar, then you will see that strength realised in higher numbers.

I wouldn't back away from hook grip yet. I'd shift to the 4x3. I think you'll find you may have to take a longer rest between sets (5-8mins) but you'll be able to get them. If your grip is weak on later sets try using straps which is a $20 solution (as opposed to a new bar). I'd aim to get a least 1 working set done with hook grip before switching to straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    I wouldn't back away from hook grip yet. I'd shift to the 4x3. I think you'll find you may have to take a longer rest between sets (5-8mins) but you'll be able to get them. If your grip is weak on later sets try using straps which is a $20 solution (as opposed to a new bar). I'd aim to get a least 1 working set done with hook grip before switching to straps.
    From what I've read, straps just seem so frowned upon. I'd feel guilty using them.
    If I switch to 4x3, would it be inappropriate to drop the weight? 12 total reps is alot more than 5 total reps.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
    From what I've read, straps just seem so frowned upon. I'd feel guilty using them.
    If I switch to 4x3, would it be inappropriate to drop the weight? 12 total reps is alot more than 5 total reps.
    I don't think straps are frowned upon (I use them all the time as do many on these boards). When doing multiple sets of deads, particularly with a Texas or Ohio Power bar's aggressive knurl, your hands can get pretty torn up. What you don't want to do is stop training higher weights for the larger muscle mass your working simply because of a grip weakness. I'm recommending you work your grip (trying to get at least 1 set of the working set with the hook grip) but to not reduce weight due to a deficiency in grip strength. The bigger factor for strength gain is moving the greater weight.

As for the repsxsets scheme don't forget 3's are a lower intensity set. You may get away with the intensity generated by 3x2 but 3x3 is more realistic to drive the stress. Try the 3x2 with the increasing weight, you'll know in a few weeks if your getting enough stress to drive the SRA.
    Last edited by Jeff Brophy; 07-10-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Had reps/sets reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    As for the repsxsets scheme don't forget 3's are a lower intensity set.
    Lower than what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Lower than what?
    Lower than a set of 5s at the same weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Lisa- Welcome to the forum. I found these DL grip articles/video useful. You may especially like the video. It gives some great advice on how to use the hook grip when one's fingers are a little on the short side. Down the road if you happen to be looking for a bar the SS bars that Capp's Welding makes are awesome. The 15kg bar might be just what the doc ordered. 25mm diameter and the best knurling on the market.

Deadlift Grip Adjustments | Nick Delgadillo

The Hook Grip | Mark Rippetoe

The Correct Place for the Bar in Your Hands in the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

The Grip Problem | Jordan Feigenbaum

The Hook Grip with Short Fingers | Paul Horn

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast