starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift grip and sets/reps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Lower than a set of 5s at the same weight.
    Lower volume set. Intensity is weight on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
    From what I've read, straps just seem so frowned upon. I'd feel guilty using them.
    If I switch to 4x3, would it be inappropriate to drop the weight? 12 total reps is alot more than 5 total reps.
    How are you doing 12 total reps ?
    SS is 1x5 top set for DL. Any reps for warmup don't count. So if you are doing 3x5 DL then YNDTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Intensity is your % of perceived 1 rep max. A 3 rep set at a weight you can do for 5 is lower intensity. OP wants to change her rep set mix from the 5 rep single set standard. She mentions needing to reduce the weight to adjust for the multiple sets. I'm suggesting she reduce the rep and increase the sets but not decrease the weight to make sure that not only the volume is attained but to increase intensity of the work sets. If she lowers the weight and lowers the reps per set she runs the risk of not creating enough stress across the worksets even if she increases the sets to match or slightly exceed the single set 5 rep standard.

Not if use Rate of Perceived Exerti......oh shit, almost said it.

How are you doing 12 total reps ?
    SS is 1x5 top set for DL. Any reps for warmup don't count. So if you are doing 3x5 DL then YNDTP.
    She already cited Practical Programming. She's doing the program, based on chapter 9.

I'd rather hear Andy Baker weigh in on this, but based on my understanding of his programming adjustments during the Advance Novice stage, I would say that keeping the weight on the bar the same and dropping the volume (both reps and sets) would be better than the reverse. Especially given the differences in females' neuromuscular efficiency (i.e. the ability to do a higher percentage of 1RM for reps). Elsewhere in PP he makes the argument that in any backoff period, maintaining intensity should take precedence over volume. I have it on Kindle so
    I don't have page numbers to cite, sorry. But it's in the Advanced Novice Section of Chapter 6.

Again, I'd love to hear clarification from Andy or another coach, but that's my take.

Intensity is your % of perceived 1 rep max. A 3 rep set at a weight you can do for 5 is lower intensity. OP wants to change her rep set mix from the 5 rep single set standard. She mentions needing to reduce the weight to adjust for the multiple sets. I'm suggesting she reduce the rep and increase the sets but not decrease the weight to make sure that not only the volume is attained but to increase intensity of the work sets. If she lowers the weight and lowers the reps per set she runs the risk of not creating enough stress across the worksets even if she increases the sets to match or slightly exceed the single set 5 rep standard.
    I don't hold with subjectivity BS. A is A. Heavier is heavier.

I understand this and it makes sense to me. To sum up all your posts: Weight continues from where I am at now; I should switch to 4 sets of 3 reps; hook grip for as many sets as possible including warm up sets and ideally at least one work set; finish work sets with straps.

Anything in particular to look for in straps, other than pretty colors of course (just kidding).

Straps are discussed in the blue book.

I don't hold with subjectivity BS. A is A. Heavier is heavier.
    I'm not talking about subjective "BS". Refer to table 9-1 in PPST3.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Straps are discussed in the blue book.
    Thank you

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast