starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift grip and sets/reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    I'm not talking about subjective "BS". Refer to table 9-1 in PPST3.
    I will have to take your word for it as I don't own PPST3, I have Barbell Prescription for the older folks.

Interesting. Are you not interested in the science behind programming?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Interesting. Are you not interested in the science behind programming?
    It was interesting because I knew there was science behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I will have to take your word for it as I don't own PPST3, I have Barbell Prescription for the older folks.
    Hey Nock,
    TBP has a good definition of Intensity in the glossary and a good write up in the Sets and Reps section of the HLM chapter. Volume and intensity are the building blocks of intermediate programming. I think you may be confusing the intensity variable with "RPE" which is highly subjective and not what I'm recommending.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    It was interesting because I knew there was science behind it.
    Then why don't you read PPST3?

Hey Nock,
    TBP has a good definition of Intensity in the glossary and a good write up in the Sets and Reps section of the HLM chapter. Volume and intensity are the building blocks of intermediate programming. I think you may be confusing the intensity variable with "RPE" which is highly subjective and not what I'm recommending.
    Funnily enough, the subject of accurate definitions appeared in QA. I will have a re-read of that section.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then why don't you read PPST3?
    Did I imply I wouldn't ?

Intensity is your % of perceived 1 rep max. A 3 rep set at a weight you can do for 5 is lower intensity. OP wants to change her rep set mix from the 5 rep single set standard. She mentions needing to reduce the weight to adjust for the multiple sets. I'm suggesting she reduce the rep and increase the sets but not decrease the weight to make sure that not only the volume is attained but to increase intensity of the work sets. If she lowers the weight and lowers the reps per set she runs the risk of not creating enough stress across the worksets even if she increases the sets to match or slightly exceed the single set 5 rep standard.
    I don't mean to interrupt but I would again ask for confirmation that I am understanding all the information.

To sum up all your posts: Weight continues from where I am at now; I should switch to 4 sets of 3 reps; hook grip for as many sets as possible including warm up sets and ideally at least one work set; finish work sets with straps.

If you meant why I haven't read PPST3:

"More advanced lifters can continue to make strength gains by using programs matched to their level. Practical Programming for Strength Training addresses exercise physiology and program construction in more detail, with many approaches and examples to help drive continued strength improvements. The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40 contains additional modifications for and guidance for older lifters."

That Indicated to me, that TBP was effectively PPST3 for the older lifter. That's how it reads to me, so that's what I bought. I've never considered investigating PPST3 until you suggested I should. When I get the opportunity I will get a copy and read it. Maybe the website intro should read "additionally" ? I suspect many of us older guys consider PPST3 a reference only book for younger lifters and so bought TBP instead.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
    I don't mean to interrupt but I would again ask for confirmation that I am understanding all the information.

To sum up all your posts: Weight continues from where I am at now; I should switch to 4 sets of 3 reps; hook grip for as many sets as possible including warm up sets and ideally at least one work set; finish work sets with straps.
    Yes. 4 sets of 3 reps. Continue to add weight to the bar. I assume you're in 5 lb increments now. Use hook grip for warmups and try to get at least 1 set of worksets done with hook. Take more time between sets as needed. Use straps for the remaining sets. Rogue, Anderson, How Much Ya Bench all have good, reasonably priced straps.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast