starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Deadlift grip and sets/reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Lower than a set of 5s at the same weight.
    You are missing that 3s are done because it allows a heavier weight so your premise is incorrect. It is also important to understand that 5s are not standard for women. Women have a different pattern of motor unit recruitment that men and need a bit more stimulus to recruit the highly fatiguing high threshold motor units. You and I can effectively do this with sets of 5. Fairly early in their training progression women no longer can. We therefore switch them to 3s in an attempt to produce the same sort of neuromuscular stimulus that you and I get from 5s.

So no, in this case a set of 3 for her is in every acceptable use of the term, a higher intensity stimulus than a set of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    You are missing that 3s are done because it allows a heavier weight so your premise is incorrect. .
    Reread my posts. The statement on 3's was in regard to the OP suggesting that she need to reduce weight on the bar in addition to reducing the reps per set. I understand that 3's are acceptable for women,which is why recommended she shift. In addition I recognize that older trainees require intensity, which is why I recommended she not drop the weight just because she would be doing more sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Lower than a set of 5s at the same weight.
    Have you ever done HEAVY deadlift triples? If you had you wouldn't have made that statement.

starting strength coach development program
    As I said above reread my posts. If you can't be bothered then STFU. You can follow my lifts in my intermediate log. I'm 49, 225 lbs at 6'0 and do 450 for triples on dead. If that's heavy to you great, its heavy to me. I stand by the statement that a set of 3's is a lower intensity set then a set of 5's at the same weight for someone who can do 5's at that weight. Which is the context of the question if you read the OP's posts.
    Last edited by Jeff Brophy; 07-26-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345