starting strength gym

Thread: cardio and weights for "old" beginner with total joints

Default cardio and weights for "old" beginner with total joints

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been doing SS for a couple of years. I alternate rehabbing from major joint surgery with a few months of weights.
    In the past couple of months, I started noticing that I needed more endurance, so started doing sled pulls. That's a tough workout, and it seems to be helping improve my endurance. I was doing it two or three days a week, but as with weight training, as I get to an amount of weight and duration, it gets harder, so I am cutting back to once a week for this, and two days a week for walking or elliptical for cardio.
    The sled is significantly harder than walking or elliptical (or rowing, or pretty much anything I can do), so I am wondering if I should count "sled day" as a weight day and rest between a sled day and a barbell day.
    I'm 61, female, still a novice lifter due to mechanical issues (inability to squat). My squat day consists of box squats, goblet squats, and TRX, so it's not really a SS squat workout. Does it make sense to do sled before or after this workout?
    The other option is to combine "squat day" with yoga, doing the weights either before or after a one hour yoga class.
    I need the yoga for balance. I need some cardio for endurance because I am not strong enough yet for a barbell workout to be effective as cardio.

This seems to be meandering. Short version:
    Should I do sled the same day as squats? If so, before or after?
    In general, if I do some cardio, is it better do to before or after weights?
    Thanks.

Are you pushing or pulling the sled? Pushing is far more effective, and easier on your back if you're using a belt and a rope. And you didn't say which joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    The other option is to combine "squat day" with yoga, doing the weights either before or after a one hour yoga class.
    If getting stronger is important to you, lift before yoga.

I need the yoga for balance.
    If your legs are not strong enough, you need strength far more to stay upright, centered, and on balance.

I need some cardio for endurance because I am not strong enough yet for a barbell workout to be effective as cardio.
    You know the above how? Have you monitored your pulse by hand or a heart rate monitor? If not, do so and you might be surprised just how much low intensity to even moderate intensity cardio effects you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you pushing or pulling the sled? Pushing is far more effective, and easier on your back if you're using a belt and a rope. And you didn't say which joints.
    ???