starting strength gym

Thread: NLP 4-day split question

Default NLP 4-day split question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

My training log is here: Ed's SS Training Log

I'm not complete NLP yet, but nearing the end (SQ: 315, Bench: 217.5, Press: 137.5, DL: 335, PC: 140* arm pulling trying to fix that). Due to time constraints when school starts back up, I was going to move to a 4 day split (won't have 2 hours free for the gym, closer to 1) and was initially just going to move to Andy Baker's Strength & Mass After 40. However after doing some reading on the forums since I haven't totally exhausted NLP, I wanted to see if there was any good advice on using the 4 day Starting Strength 4 Day Split rather than just going intermediate.

I plan on doing
    Day 1: Bench, Press (L)
    Day 2: Squat, PC, CU
    Day 4: Press, Bench (L)
    Day 5: Squat, DL

following 3x5 for all lifts, except the PC at 5x3, and DL at 1x5
    Since I'm still in NLP would I be able to do heavy for both the Bench and Press on the same day, or is that a fools errand and I'm better sticking to this template for squeezing the last drops out of NLP?

Doing press after benchpress will probably wont work on NLP especially if you are near the end. The split suggested in the thread you are referring to better I think, but wont last for long as well as you only bench and press 1xweek.

This is great split and I often refer back to it after layoffs

You can check my log out

The 5:3:1 is a great transition to which I’m also doing

Some weeks you might only be able to fit in three sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Andersen View Post
    Doing press after benchpress will probably wont work on NLP especially if you are near the end. The split suggested in the thread you are referring to better I think, but wont last for long as well as you only bench and press 1xweek.
    So better off it remove the light lifts. Like bench on day 1, with some assistance instead of press, then Press on day 4, and another assistance exercise, or the threat I referred to where the Squat and Pull are put on different days?

Quote Originally Posted by EdPurvee View Post
    I plan on doing
    Day 1: Bench, Press (L)
    Day 2: Squat, PC, CU
    Day 4: Press, Bench (L)
    Day 5: Squat, DL
    Sorry I didn't actually notice that you switched the order on day 4. Again I don't think it matters too much, but only progressing once per week on bench and press and then doing some lighter work afterwards is definitely more realistic than progressing twice per week given you are at the end of LP. I would keep the intensity high on the light work as well. Something like 3 x 5 x 90-95% (and closer to 95 than 90).

This also seems like a smooth way the transition from NLP to a 4 day Texas Method / Heavy-Light program. You would then basically move sets from one day to another.