starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting HLM/Intermediate programming.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I used a couple of 10 pound jumps so i hit a wall. If i also remember, recovery was getting a little hard. You also recommended me to do that and i found it reasonable.

Okay, so my 3x5 progress stopped by 310, every time i try 330x5 i feel dizzy afterwards and can't even complete a 10% less back-off set of 5 reps. I have done 5+resets, and i actually did one a few months ago that helped me a lot in a stressful period. I have been paralyzed for more than a week about starting a new training program so let's hear what do you think about this.

Monday
    5x5 85% squats (percentage from 325 which was my last 1x5 that i actually completed), 3x3 bench for now, but later 5x5 same as squats and add a heavy deadlift set of 1-5. I'm not sure if i will be able to pull it today, since my last DL's were on friday. But it seems that DLS arent interchangeable between days.

Wednesday.
    3x5 (20% less) Press 3x3 for now and then 3x5 (i assume is 5-10% less weight) Chinups

Friday.
    3x5 10% less from monday? 3x3 for now on bench/press, Close grip bench 5-10% less from Monday. And i think i'll do some romanian deadlifts/SLDL 3x5 so i add some variation to chinups.

The thing that worries me is that i will probably be using minimal weights in squat from an already low percentage or maybe i'll go up quickly in a few weeks, 85% is a percentage i got from the relative intensity image. The thing is that i just need something to work that's doable, or if you can recommend me some way to tweak my LP that can help me to move from maximal weights for a while. As i said, i've been paralyzed for a few weeks about how to start intermediate programming, but i also don't want to keep failing on 1x5 in LP and keep getting unmotivated.
    ¡

starting strength coach development program
    If you can no longer make workout to workout jumps in weight on the lifts that the program calls for, then you are no longer a novice. Assuming that your inter-set rest is adequate, your sleep and nutrition is in order, and the jumps in weight you are making are not excessive. Given that you have been trying to continue the program for at least nine months, then it is safe to say you have finished your novice linear progression.

If I were you, this is what I would do:
    Make that ~6 hours a night of sleep into 8-9, if you can, and make the sleep as qualitative as possible. Here is how you do that:
    - Make your room as dark as possible. Black out blinds and a towel or rolled up shirt under your door works wonders. Absolutely no lights from the computer or RGB bullshit.
    - Make your room as quiet as possible. Earplugs may be necessary but you have to make sure you can wake up to your alarm if you need one.
    - Your room should be a comfortable temperature when you are in bed.
    - You should avoid blue light from your computer, phone, and TV for at least an hour before bed. 2 hours is much better. A blue-light filter is required at minimum.
    - If you are worrying about something, write it down in detail and leave it there. Inhaling for 5 seconds and exhaling for 5 after, for 5-10 minutes, can calm a busy mind.

Read the intermediate programming chapter in Practical Programming for Strength Training - 3rd edition. Read a paragraph or two, take some notes, and give it some thought. If you go through the chapter and still don't understand how to run one of those programs listed, come to the forum and ask a specific question.

In summary, improving your sleep may help you out of your rut. Otherwise, backing off and re-evaluating your programming will ultimately be the answer in the absence of injury. Consider the fatigue you accumulate throughout the day. If you are practicing for a sport or doing a lot of moving around during the day outside of just walking, perhaps that fatigue is the issue. You are certainly past the novice phase if you've been running it for 9 months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12