Programming cycling and Strength Training - perhaps a question for Steve Hill? Programming cycling and Strength Training - perhaps a question for Steve Hill?

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Programming cycling and Strength Training - perhaps a question for Steve Hill?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default Programming cycling and Strength Training - perhaps a question for Steve Hill?

    • phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    Hey,

    I'm a 26 year old road cyclist and i want to combine cycling and Strength Training. I want to get stronger and improve my sprints/ explosivness. My goal is to become a well rounded athlete and I would like to race some Criteriums next near. After 5 Months of a modified SS, I can't progress anymore. So which Strength/Powerlifting Program would you recommend for that? Would the TM or another intermediate Program right for me?
    Can I construct a weight training regiment in which I can both cycle and make progress on my lifts, particularly the squat and DL (I shouldn't have an issue progressing on upper body)?

    I ride 4-6x a week.

    My stats:

    Height 176cm
    Bodyweight 72kg
    Squat 110kg x 5
    Bench press 75kg x 5
    Deadlift 130kg x 5
    OHP 50kg x 5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Before we go too far down the rabbit hole, I have some questions:

    1) Please describe what a “modified SS” is.
    2) your current weight is 72kg. What was is at the start of the “modified SS” programming?
    3) What were your starting weights for SQ and DL?
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 09-14-2019 at 10:50 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Before we go too far down the rabbit hole, I have some questions:

    1) Please describe what a “modified SS” is.
    2) your current weight is 72kg. What was is at the start of the “modified SS” programming?
    3) What were your starting weights for SQ and DL?
    Hi Steve.

    1. Before each workout I did 5x3 Depth Jumps and I also did one single leg exercise( Lunges, Bulgarian Split Squat and Single-Leg-Press) after the workouts.
    2. I went from 70kg to 74kg to now 72kg
    3. Starting Weights:

    Squat 50kg x 5
    Bench press 45kg x 5
    Deadlift 60kg x 5
    OHP 25kg x 5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,672

    Default

    Ah. He's modified it into a program that is not SS. Standard approach.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    1) how many times per week did you lift?
    2) when you say “50kg x 5” do you mean for three sets of 5?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    1) how many times per week did you lift?
    2) when you say “50kg x 5” do you mean for three sets of 5?
    1. I ran the program as written, 3 days a week

    2. Yes, all numbers are 3x5

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    1) how many times per week did you lift?
    2) when you say “50kg x 5” do you mean for three sets of 5?
    Hi Steve.
    I ran the program as written, 3 days a week. My squat made good progress, but currently my lifts are all plateauing … probably because I am cycling so much. My legs are also so exhausted by the time I get to my rides that they go terribly and it is a struggle to get through them.

    Can I construct a weight training regiment in which I can both cycle and make progress on my lifts?

    Thanks in advance

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rupi View Post
    Hi Steve.
    I ran the program as written, 3 days a week. My squat made good progress, but currently my lifts are all plateauing … probably because I am cycling so much. My legs are also so exhausted by the time I get to my rides that they go terribly and it is a struggle to get through them.

    Can I construct a weight training regiment in which I can both cycle and make progress on my lifts?

    Thanks in advance
    rupi,

    As an old, long-time cyclist, you already hit the nail on the head (bolded above). There's a season for significant strength gains before prepping for the race season. Never the two shall mix. For reference, look at some of Joe Friel's training cycles for cyclists for more info.

    Similarly, here's an older article in the archives here that might shed some light (read the forum discussion afterwards): "]The Map of Athletic Performance .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default

    starting strength nutrition camp
    @ Steve Hill

    Can I construct a weight training regiment in which I can both cycle and make progress on my lifts? I know, road cyclists are encouraged to be very light, but strength is still important for general health and greater stability on the bike. I would like to gain some muscles and i would like to get stronger.
    So which Strength/Powerlifting Program would you recommend for that? Would the TM or another intermediate Program right for me?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •