starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for bench press

Default Replacement for bench press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Whats the best replacement for bench press? I have shoulder mobility issues, and I injure myself once every few weeks on bench and it prohibits my ability to bench, and to squat... I tried just doing OHP everyday, but it stalled (at 145). My triceps aren't strong enough to deal with the weight, i suspect this is due to no bench press.

Lying tricep extensions, weighted dips? 3x5? 5x3? Any suggestions, criticisms?

What has prevented your learning to bench correctly? Do you not have access to a coach?

I used to have what I thought was "shoulder strain" and super tight pecs that never felt good, so I stretched the hell out of them. It wasn't until recently when I really started doing SS method 3x5 for bench and press that all of those issues went away. Do not give up on the bench press, it is such a damn good movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Levy View Post
    I used to have what I thought was "shoulder strain" and super tight pecs that never felt good, so I stretched the hell out of them. It wasn't until recently when I really started doing SS method 3x5 for bench and press that all of those issues went away. Do not give up on the bench press, it is such a damn good movement.
    I know what you mean about "strain" and I feel it most in my traps, but it's not the same situation. As it is, it's dangerous to perform the lift so i was looking for alternatives that would translate well into OHP progress. All I could think of were dips

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What has prevented your learning to bench correctly? Do you not have access to a coach?
    I don't have access to a coach. My shoulders have a tendency to partially dislocate midway through the lift, so i have no help from my pectorals when that happens and i just have to let it drop to my chest (it only happens one shoulder at a time, so the other one is still active, but it could be either shoulder). As it is, it's unreasonable to continue training bench press if that keeps happening, or without proper guidance from a coach. So would weighted dips be the replacement (for now)?

Your shoulders dislocate during the bench, but you want to do weighted dips? Sure. That makes perfect sense.

ill take my chances falling onto my feet over letting a bar fall to my chest lol

You will discover that, in the event of failure, several unfortunate things happen to your shoulder before you get your feet back down to the floor.

as of yet i havent had any problems with dips. Is there anything else you would recommend though? Coaching just isn't an option for me in the near future, i cant even do online coaching because where i live does not permit recording devices.

Sounds like your situation is about as good as you can make it.

starting strength coach development program
    Would board presses be applicable? I had great success with putting a yoga block on my chest and keeping the shoulder out of it for a few months until shoulder was better. Then started at lower weight again with success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast