starting strength gym

Thread: Need Help With Power Cleans

Default Need Help With Power Cleans

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I will go ahead and say that I do not have a video of my most recent Power clean work out, but if one of you would like to see it I can make a video. A few weeks ago I was power cleaning and I felt a sharp pain in my right shoulder so I’ll let it heal for a while and didn’t do PC. I came back to power cleans today and I did 105 for one set of five and one set of two but I just wasn’t feeling it today my power off of the floor was bad and it was putting me in an awkward catching position and it brought back the nagging pain in my right shoulder. I really do not want to quit doing them but it seems like a hassle to get the form down and I am just wondering if you guys think I should keep doing them or find an alternative? I am aware that my form may be the main issue here but personally I don’t feel like I’m getting much out of power cleans and don’t play any sports. Every rep gets worse and worse because i’m getting fatigued. 3x5 feels like too much on them, but who am I to say that. Just need a little hand here please.

You're doing 3 sets of 5 reps?

I usually do, but today when the pain recurred in my shoulder I didn’t want to push it any further and called it a day. This was after 1 set of 5 reps and 1 set of 2.

The program calls for 5 triples, so that's problem #1.

Are you trying 105 lbs or 105 kg? If the former, are you using standard equipment or are you pulling from a non-standard start?

So glad you pointed that out. I went back and looked in my book and noticed I had read it wrong as 3 sets of 5. I’m only pulling 105 lbs, I really suck at Power Cleans and I’ve been trying to go light enough to get the technique down.

About the start, I’m using a 35 lbs bar and putting on 35s to each side because it’s higher off the ground than 25 lbs plates and better managed than 135 or 115.

Why are you using a 35-pound bar. Why don't you go back and actually read the book for the first time.

starting strength coach development program
    Why not just use a 45 lb bar with bumper weights? They are the same diameter as the 45s and just vary in thickness to compensate for lower weight.

My gym doesn’t have bumper plates so I bought a pair of 25s off amazon (get whatever size you need). Helps my wife and kids get deadlift and clean sets in for their novice program until they can move 135 to begin warmup sets.