starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate for women (TM)

Default Intermediate for women (TM)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everbody,

sorry if a question like this has already been answered but I searched and only found an old threat from 2011 with an similar question, but it didn't quite answered my question.
    Since a few month I take my girlfriend with me to the gym. The went through the normal LP (3 sets / 5 reps) for the first weeks and then switched to 5 sets / 3 reps.
    Right now we already got her on an "back-up"-day for the squat, but it feels like it will come to an end soon.
    So my question is if somebody got experience with intermediate-programming for women. Preferably some kind of modified TM.

I already got an idea what she will probably try at first but maybe somebody who already was in that situation got some good info for her.

I plan as follows:

Day #1:
    Squat: 8x3 @ 90% (almost the same volume as 5x5 for men, but 8 sets is probably to much)
    Bench: 5x3 @ 90%
    Chin-ups: 4-5 sets to failure @ BW

Day #2:
    Squat: 3x3 @ 80%
    Press: 5x3
    Deadlift: 2x3

Day #3:
    Squat: 2x3
    Press: 6x1
    Bench: 2x3
    Deadlift: 3x3 @ 90%

Not quite sure if this makes any sense cause I'm really not experienced with programming for women.

So, your first mistake is trying to train your girlfriend... good luck with that!

Do you have Practical Programming? Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Annino View Post
    So, your first mistake is trying to train your girlfriend... good luck with that![/url]
    The fact that this isn't the first time I'm hearing this scares me a little

Yes, I have. And I don't really know what to say... ...besides I´m embarrassed. I have read it but honestly wasn't aware that there is actually a whole chapter that makes most of my question unnecessary.
    Don't know how I missed it every time, but thanks for pointing my nose on it.

Yeah, I tried... it didn't go well. It may cause you fewer headaches (and arguments) to hire a coach for her.

Check out the chapter in Practical Programming called "Special Populations" most of your questions will be answered there. Also, for what it's worth if you plan on staying in a relationship with her, I strongly recommend rethinking 8 sets of 3 on the volume day.

Also, for what it's worth if you plan on staying in a relationship with her, I strongly recommend rethinking 8 sets of 3 on the volume day.
    I guess I will keep her on 6 sets like written in the example in the book. Thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBuck93 View Post
    Hi everbody,

sorry if a question like this has already been answered but I searched and only found an old threat from 2011 with an similar question, but it didn't quite answered my question.
    Since a few month I take my girlfriend with me to the gym. The went through the normal LP (3 sets / 5 reps) for the first weeks and then switched to 5 sets / 3 reps.
    Right now we already got her on an "back-up"-day for the squat, but it feels like it will come to an end soon.
    So my question is if somebody got experience with intermediate-programming for women. Preferably some kind of modified TM.

I already got an idea what she will probably try at first but maybe somebody who already was in that situation got some good info for her.

I plan as follows:

Day #1:
    Squat: 8x3 @ 90% (almost the same volume as 5x5 for men, but 8 sets is probably to much)
    Bench: 5x3 @ 90%
    Chin-ups: 4-5 sets to failure @ BW

Day #2:
    Squat: 3x3 @ 80%
    Press: 5x3
    Deadlift: 2x3

Day #3:
    Squat: 2x3
    Press: 6x1
    Bench: 2x3
    Deadlift: 3x3 @ 90%

Not quite sure if this makes any sense cause I'm really not experienced with programming for women.
    Hi Chris,
    I am just seeing this post today so my apologies if you have already worked out a program for her. My experience with training women is that women can and do tolerate a lot of volume and the one thing lacking in the TM programming is volume. She went from doing 15 reps for everything to now doing much much less in terms of volume. If she wants to make progress with the lifts, volume is the key. Here is a sample of what my women do who are now doing more intermediated training. If you want to stay with TM....

Day 1
    4 sets of 5 for squats at 90% (If not sets of 5 then do 6 sets of 4)
    Bench - Top triple from the heavy day then 4 sets of 5 at 90%
    Deadlift at 80-85% for 8 sets of 2 (doubles on the minute for 8 minutes)

Day 2
    3 sets of 5 at 80% for the squat (she should be able to do sets of 5 at this weight)
    Press - 4 sets of 5
    Chins

Day 3
    Heavy day, right? 1 -2 top sets of 3 then 2-3 sets of 5 at 90%
    Press - Is this heavy?
    Bench - Heavy?
    Deadlift - One top set 3-5 reps then 1-2 back offs at 90%

When are her press days and bench days? The more volume on these lifts, the better. I can help answer the press and bench work if I know what days she is pressing and benching heavy and volume.

Emily