starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can’t Add 5 lbs on squats anymore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Update:
    It’s currently Friday and I’m at the gym right now. I am supposed to be doing 295 3 x 5 today, but warm ups are feeling heavy asf and I think fatigue has accumulated from squatting heavy 3 times a week for the past 2-3 months. This week has really been a punch in the face. Been eating and sleeping like normal this week, not been any more stressed or anything. My squats are just coming to a halt or something. I got pinned twice this week while resting for a 12 mins. I ended up just doing a 3 x 3 with 275 today. I really think it’s time for a middle light day, I know for a fact that I cannot add another 5 lbs every session more than another workout or two. My drive for the gym has gone this week, body feels fried. Not being a pussy but this is what’s going on and I’m stuck, please help.

In the spirit of slower is faster...

Would it be heretical to recommend one more day of recovery, i.e. one on, two off? It makes the schedule irregular, but depending on the person, that can be a boon.

If you're looking for permission to switch to the light squat day, I give it.

Brody_G, so yours squats are getting heavier - thats good. Maybe it is time to add light day or maybe not...

What strikes me the most is your calories intake. From your other post I remeber that you are 17. From your powerclean video i can see that you are perfectly normal regarding body fat.

So I have only one question:

Why a 17 years old male that wants to get stronger and is at lower end of the scale with his BF% eats only 3500 kcal a day ?

Especially if he's feeling fried. But kids this age cannot be taught these things, for reasons beyond my comprehension. ABS are the primary goal here. Just ask him.

Brody- how much weight is your deadlift workset and how often are you deadlifting?

What’s your height and weight? I guess I can’t recall you giving us that.

When is the last time you posted a form video? Sometimes your form can get shitty when it gets heavy and you’re lazy about filming yourself.

Again, from my own experience, I bet you’re pulling your chest and stalling out... hence you’re getting pinned on late reps in late sets. There’s no way in hell you would be getting pinned because it’s too heavy. You’re getting pinned because you’re exhausted from grinding through shitty reps, and the weight is now actually too heavy for you to squat it with bad form.

Post your squat video.

Quote Originally Posted by Szymon View Post
    Brody_G, so yours squats are getting heavier - thats good. Maybe it is time to add light day or maybe not...

What strikes me the most is your calories intake. From your other post I remeber that you are 17. From your powerclean video i can see that you are perfectly normal regarding body fat.

So I have only one question:

Why a 17 years old male that wants to get stronger and is at lower end of the scale with his BF% eats only 3500 kcal a day ?
    I weigh 205 lbs and have a 38 inch waist circumference because I measured it, yes, that’s right 38”. I don’t care about abs at all, in fact, i’ve never had a low enough body fat to see any abs, they’re just for looks anyways, or for the girls, which I am not pursuing right now. If I eat more i’m going to get fat.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Brody- how much weight is your deadlift workset and how often are you deadlifting?
    Deadlifting 1-2 times a week depending on whether I power clean or not. Deadlift work sets are at 330 1 x 5.

Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    What’s your height and weight? I guess I can’t recall you giving us that.
    5”10”
    205 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    When is the last time you posted a form video? Sometimes your form can get shitty when it gets heavy and you’re lazy about filming yourself.

Again, from my own experience, I bet you’re pulling your chest and stalling out... hence you’re getting pinned on late reps in late sets. There’s no way in hell you would be getting pinned because it’s too heavy. You’re getting pinned because you’re exhausted from grinding through shitty reps, and the weight is now actually too heavy for you to squat it with bad form.

Post your squat video.
    Person who videotaped missed the first rep, but here is the most recent from a week ago. Yes, I have maybe been lazy about videoing. When I video I can’t hear my music and that throws me off sometimes because I have to hear the garbage my gym is playing. It’s only 3 reps, sorry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast