starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can’t Add 5 lbs on squats anymore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    you have a problem with Lynard Skynard ! (?)
    depth,
    and counting to 5

I knew someone would say something about that😂. Not that song in particular, but just in general the music is just awful and having some tunes of my own helps me somehow. Yeah, that set of 3 was just a set to make up for missed reps earlier that workout.

WHAT?!? 38 inch waist ? Are you trying to be a fitness model or something ?

Your biggest mistake is not pursuing girls ! And no, they are not attracted to your abs because the can't see them. They are attracted by your strenght and physical strenght is a small (but significant) part of the strenght that i'm talking about.

Your second mistake is your calories intake. 3500 kcal was good enough to take your squat from nothing to where you are right now. You got more muscles on you and your training is more intense. You are asking more from your body and your 17 years old body will be more than happy to deliver as long as you fulfill your end of the deal.

You are like a sports car. More horse power = more fuel.

So here is my advice -
    Deload your squat about 20 pounds and add 500 kcal now and another 500 kcal in 2 weeks to a total of 4500. Keep your protein +200g. Rest of the calories shoud come from carbs. Don't eat additional fat - the one that is in meat, eggs and milk should get you to around 100g anyway.

You need more bounce from the bottom of your squat. Don't stop in the hole !

Don't worry about getting fat. Being 17 and training hard makes you immune to becoming fat.

I think the squats look okay. (Disclaimer: I'm no coach).
    But maybe watch this: Don't Bail On Your Squats - How to set the bar on the pins if you get stuck | Mark Rippetoe

Those 3 reps look like there would have been another two.

I completely grasp the process of gaining some fat in the pursuit of strength, but does it make me a fitness model to be slightly concerned with a waist circumference of 38”, almost 39. I just want to be comfortable in my own skin. I can’t emphasize enough that I do not care about abs, it’s just I do not want to get fat, which I am approaching. I look relatively muscular in a shirt, but I have to suck in when I walk around or else my stomach bulges out. I just feel like it would benefit me more to do a slight cut, continue to train heavy, take creatine, sleep well, and increase protein intake. I can lose fat and build muscle simultaneously, it’s just a matter of changing my diet a little. Overall, I need to reduce my calories from non-protein sources. After I drop a couple pounds, restart a bulk. If I continue bulking from where I’m at now I’m going to look chubby this summer. I hope someone can concur with this.

I forgot to mention, if I had to estimate my body fat, it is no doubt ~25%. Not that it matters or anything, but there it is...

You’re descending too slowly and hanging out at the bottom of the squat to the point that you’re almost doing a pause squat. This completely fucks your ability to benefit from the “bounce” out of the stretch reflex and keep your bar speed up.

Also, stop squatting in front of a mirror or have the discipline to keep your head down. Your more likely to stay in your hips with your head down. I still believe that if we were to get you at your worst we’d see that when you start grinding you’re not staying in your hips.

You could also probably focus on shoving your knees out more.

My recommendation is to watch starting strength videos on YouTube. Also, watch Austin Baraki squat. Just type his name in the search bar. He’s a really good model for how to squat. Film yourself, make your squat look like his. Reread the blue book on squatting again.

The good news is you’re strong enough to squat that amount of weight poorly. You’ll seriously unlock your potential if you clean up your form.

Unfortunately for those of us who do not have access to a coach, either geographically or $$, we have to film ourselves and sometimes reset. It takes longer, but not much.

I started the program at 135 and my squat is now 355x5x3 in 5 months. I reset at 225 back to 185 because the bar position on my back was shit. I reset at 315 back to 285 because I was relaxing at the bottom. I reset at 335 back to 315 because I was pulling my chest. There’s a pattern here... the higher up in weight you go, the more perfect your form MUST be in order to make the lift.

Have the patience and discipline to learn something the correct way (and understand and buy into the idea that there is one correct way). It is probably necessary for a reset at this point, but maybe you can get by with the same weight.

I don't know if you mentioned what your macros are, but pay attention to your carbs. I'm close to your size and anything less than about 330g of carbs per day makes for noticeably tougher workouts.

Protein is important too, obviously, but inconsistent carb intake will cause problems from one workout to the next.

Brody_G, if you can build muscle and loose fat at the same time then why are you stuck with your squat and why do you even consider to go on a "cut" ? Just grow bigger and stronger while sheding fat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    You’re descending too slowly and hanging out at the bottom of the squat to the point that you’re almost doing a pause squat. This completely fucks your ability to benefit from the “bounce” out of the stretch reflex and keep your bar speed up.

Also, stop squatting in front of a mirror or have the discipline to keep your head down. Your more likely to stay in your hips with your head down. I still believe that if we were to get you at your worst we’d see that when you start grinding you’re not staying in your hips.

You could also probably focus on shoving your knees out more.

My recommendation is to watch starting strength videos on YouTube. Also, watch Austin Baraki squat. Just type his name in the search bar. He’s a really good model for how to squat. Film yourself, make your squat look like his. Reread the blue book on squatting again.

The good news is you’re strong enough to squat that amount of weight poorly. You’ll seriously unlock your potential if you clean up your form.

Unfortunately for those of us who do not have access to a coach, either geographically or $$, we have to film ourselves and sometimes reset. It takes longer, but not much.

I started the program at 135 and my squat is now 355x5x3 in 5 months. I reset at 225 back to 185 because the bar position on my back was shit. I reset at 315 back to 285 because I was relaxing at the bottom. I reset at 335 back to 315 because I was pulling my chest. There’s a pattern here... the higher up in weight you go, the more perfect your form MUST be in order to make the lift.

Have the patience and discipline to learn something the correct way (and understand and buy into the idea that there is one correct way). It is probably necessary for a reset at this point, but maybe you can get by with the same weight.
    Thank you for the reply man! I watch both Dr. Baraki and Dr. Feigenbaum via instagram. I think I am going to do a deload from 295 to around 280 to work on the form like you said. Should I just switch to advanced novice programming on squats to be safe? I’ve been stalling around this weight for a while now it’s either form issues or failing reps when I get back up to weight again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast