starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can’t Add 5 lbs on squats anymore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    About my depth, do you guys think I can use the safety racks near me as a depth indicator and to just make sure I hit those in order for the depth to be right?

So regarding depth, if you don’t understand then head back to the blue book and read. Either way, you need to film yourself better, both in terms of quality and quantity. There are plenty of cheap online tripods on amazon that do just fine. I think mine was $10.

Film yourself according to the guidelines in the technique forum. I don’t know the exact guidelines off hand, but I believe hip height is appropriate at about a 45 degree angle. Also film yourself from the side. Proper depth = crease of hip below top of patella. So drop into the hole and bounce out of the bottom.

Film yourself every set of every workout until you get it perfect. Watch yourself after every set so you can connect what you’re doing with what you’re feeling.

Regarding programming, it is my opinion that you should be doing heavy light heavy for squats. It was going to happen sooner or later anyway (i.e. within 10-20 lbs) and the example NLP in practical programming switches over around these weights as well. I am not a coach and I’m sure some brainwashed troll on this board is going to tell you differently. I switched around this weight because I was really struggling to recover.

So your light day is going to be about 225 (80% of 280). Your form needs to be motherfucking perfect on those days, no exceptions. Do not do what I did and slop your way through a light squat day. I was too dumb to realize the great opportunity light days are to really hone in on form for too long. Especially at the beginning, don’t fear an extra set or extra rep if you’re trying to hone in on a particular movement pattern. You will not be able to do this later on in the mid-high 300s (or at least, I can’t anymore. I have to be strict about volume.—again, I’m also 30).

I am not a coach. So verify this in the forum... but I think you need to shove your knees out. Read the entire blue book section of the squat and film film film. Post to the technique board every couple weeks. Respect their time and post a well filmed squat so they can give you quick and accurate feedback.

Good luck. I don’t know if you have the luxury of working from home or doing online classes during this shit show but I imagine you will have plenty of time to film and think about your squats.

Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    So regarding depth, if you don’t understand then head back to the blue book and read. Either way, you need to film yourself better, both in terms of quality and quantity. There are plenty of cheap online tripods on amazon that do just fine. I think mine was $10.

Film yourself according to the guidelines in the technique forum. I don’t know the exact guidelines off hand, but I believe hip height is appropriate at about a 45 degree angle. Also film yourself from the side. Proper depth = crease of hip below top of patella. So drop into the hole and bounce out of the bottom.

Film yourself every set of every workout until you get it perfect. Watch yourself after every set so you can connect what you’re doing with what you’re feeling.

Regarding programming, it is my opinion that you should be doing heavy light heavy for squats. It was going to happen sooner or later anyway (i.e. within 10-20 lbs) and the example NLP in practical programming switches over around these weights as well. I am not a coach and I’m sure some brainwashed troll on this board is going to tell you differently. I switched around this weight because I was really struggling to recover.

So your light day is going to be about 225 (80% of 280). Your form needs to be motherfucking perfect on those days, no exceptions. Do not do what I did and slop your way through a light squat day. I was too dumb to realize the great opportunity light days are to really hone in on form for too long. Especially at the beginning, don’t fear an extra set or extra rep if you’re trying to hone in on a particular movement pattern. You will not be able to do this later on in the mid-high 300s (or at least, I can’t anymore. I have to be strict about volume.—again, I’m also 30).

I am not a coach. So verify this in the forum... but I think you need to shove your knees out. Read the entire blue book section of the squat and film film film. Post to the technique board every couple weeks. Respect their time and post a well filmed squat so they can give you quick and accurate feedback.

Good luck. I don’t know if you have the luxury of working from home or doing online classes during this shit show but I imagine you will have plenty of time to film and think about your squats.
    Awesome man! I’ve been wanting to get the go-ahead on a middle light day, as I thought I was eating and sleeping enough and still getting murdered from adding 5 lbs every other workout. I will make sure to drill my form man! I’ll get this!

Just went a finished up the Squatting chapter of the book. I think this mirror thing is what’s messing my depth up a lot, starting Monday I’m gonna drill looking down.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody_G View Post
    Awesome man! I’ve been wanting to get the go-ahead on a middle light day, as I thought I was eating and sleeping enough and still getting murdered from adding 5 lbs every other workout. I will make sure to drill my form man! I’ll get this!

Just went a finished up the Squatting chapter of the book. I think this mirror thing is what’s messing my depth up a lot, starting Monday I’m gonna drill looking down.
    For me, the key to depth lately was widening my stance. I was squatting to what felt like good depth, but when I looked at a video of myself I was shocked, SHOCKED, at how high I was. If you don’t have access to or choose to forego a coach, video with instant replay after each set is invaluable. For me, with a too-narrow stance, the proprioceptive feedback I was getting was very misleading. I am a bit of a motor moron, but have been able to relearn how to feel proper depth with using video frequently.

starting strength coach development program
    Brody_G, I don't understand this. You ask for help because your squat stalled. So you want to get stronger, right ? Ok!

I reply that you are not eating enough. And I don't mean that you should jump on 6000-7000 kcal. That would make you strong but also fat. I understand that I'm no one here. Just some random guy. There is absolutly no reason for you to take my advice. BUT the man himself confirmed what I said. I mean, you are reading his book, right? You are doing his program, right? So why not take HIS advice on this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Especially if he's feeling fried. But kids this age cannot be taught these things, for reasons beyond my comprehension. ABS are the primary goal here. Just ask him.

So, there are two scenarios

1. You will add a light day and continue to make progress. Soon you will stall again. You will make a decision that it is time to move to intermidiate programing. You will make some progres but you will stall very fast and decide to go on a cut before you get serious. After some time, maybe a year, you WILL find yourself in the same spot. I did it for FOUR years. No progress at all. Wasted my time between age of 24 to 28. I thought that I'm doing exactly what Rip said. No shit, right?

2. You will add around 1000 kcal to your diet and continue to make good progress, follow the program. You will stall your LP at much higher numbers and than move to intermidiate programing. You will continue to make good progress. Maybe a year will pass but you WILL be squating 405 for 3-5 reps and you will have much more muscle on you. Than you go for a 2 months cut and it will be so easy that you will not even notice it.
    I know this because I did it

+1000 kcal will not make you fat. There is actually pretty good chance that you will grow an inch, build more muscle and lower your BF%. You just need to understand that if you get stronger you need more food to fuel heavier lifting. 3500 is enough for kids excited to bench two plates. There is no magic here.

Your choice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234