starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can’t Add 5 lbs on squats anymore

Default Can’t Add 5 lbs on squats anymore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So here’s the deal, I’ve been eating 3500 cals a day, sleeping 8-9 hrs per night, taking my 5g of creatine a day. I deloaded a while back to fix my form because right around the 290-295 lbs range I was struggling to hit depth. I deloaded to 275 and worked my way back up making sure to get slightly below parallel on all sets. I failed to get 3 x 5 one workout with 290 so I attempted again, same thing happened. When I starts getting really heavy and I can’t do it I start getting a tendency to cut off depth. I kept trying at 290 and once I finally got it I moved up to 295. I’m trying it currently and it’s feeling extremely heavy and I can’t get all 3 x 5 reps. On first set I actually did get 5 reps, but on second and third sets I had to break it up like 2 reps at a time. This is stressing me out, what do I do? I feel like I know what to do eg middle light day, but I don’t want to unless absolutely necessary. Thanks

Rest between sets?

I have an app called Jefit that I use to track all my workouts and time rest breaks. I have it set that I rest for 7 minutes between each set. I forgot to mention in the original post that I did workout kind of late at night when I went for 295 lbs, so I may have been a bit tired even though I was running on some Bucked Up preworkout. I am just gonna keep trying it Mon., Wed., Fri. this week and try to eat more. Might need to drink a little more milk a day too, I'm sure that'd help. I'm drinking about 2 cups now because I don't really need to drink a whole gallon, I am 205 lbs. now and don't need to gain extreme weight.

Set it for 12 minutes and see what happens.

Will do, thanks!

I did it and guess what - it worked! I got 295 x 5,5, and 4. Knew out of the hole I wasn’t gonna be able to get the last rep and dropped it on the safety rack. I actually hit below parallel as well on all sets, I got a video. You’re a wizard Rip.

Jesus, this is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody_G View Post
    I feel like I know what to do eg middle light day, but I don’t want to unless absolutely necessary. Thanks
    I started mine back at 280 and it was a huge relief, especially mentally, to know I wasn't going to have to squat heavy on Wednesdays. I had been struggling with +5 lbs since about 255-260. Monday's were always easy, but Friday's were fucking brutal. I don't know how old you are but I was 30 when I started.

I'm currently at 370 and I take 8-9 minutes in between reps. +10 if it's really feeling like shit. Just from personal experience, I would've rather taken a light day than be waiting 12 min between each set 3 days a week + feel like death. I mean fuck, you're still going up 10 lbs a week with a light day. And you'll likely be able to do this well through the mid 300s, maybe even up to 400.

You do you, but you're going to get to where you want to be very fast either way. Slowing down might actually be faster. If you have a number in your head (let's say it's 350 for shits and giggles), you'll hit it in 5 weeks (or rather, 15 workouts). If you keep going +5 until you absolutely cannot go up that way anymore you'll hit it in 3 weeks + 1 workout (10 workouts). But think about this: you're going to start failing like you're already beginning to do. You're not failing because you're a pussy. Quite the opposite, you're failing because you're busting your ass.

It seems more logical to me, even from a time wasting perspective, to take the light day. You're going to fail like you've already started doing and that's going to cost you workouts + the amount of time saving we're talking about is likely very small + you're going to be actively spending more time in the gym waiting 12 minutes in between sets.

Good luck.

Thanks for the great reply buddy! Rip, what you think about this? I can see where he is coming from, think I should start my advanced novice programming for squats?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the reply man, that helps a lot! I’ll let Rip put in his two cents on whether it’s definitely time for advanced novice squats. Got pinned with 295 for my first set and only got 4 reps the last time I was in the gym. Eating and sleeping enough so idk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast