starting strength gym

Thread: Adjusting NLP Programming for Low Back Pain

Default Adjusting NLP Programming for Low Back Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am 49 years old and started lifting weights when I was 46. I spent the last 3 years on different programs before discovering Starting Strength, and in February 2020 I started NLP. I transferred the weights I had worked up to in my prior training as a starting point for SS NLP and after 2 months now I am having severe glute and low back pain during my workouts. I have been focused on my form to help with this but it just doesn’t seem to be working.
    I have increased my Squat Workset weight from 230lbs-->260lb and my DL Workset has gone from 220lbs-->277.5. I am currently 6’1” and weigh 210lbs. I feel the pain the most while adding and removing weights from the bar and less when actually performing the lifts. I have had back pain similar to this in the past, probably from a desk job and poor posture, that has mostly been evident when doing yard work.
    I’m wondering if I should drop the weights down to maybe 70-75% of what I am doing now for my worksets and start the progression from there and see if the back pain subsides?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Gain 30 pounds of bodyweight and see what happens to the pain.

I echo Rip's suggestion and would like to add that you post video of your squats and deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I echo Rip's suggestion and would like to add that you post video of your squats and deadlifts.
    Thank you Rip and Robert. I will post videos the next chance I get to record them.

Hi Robert, Below are links to videos of my squat and deadlift. Any coaching tips would be greatly appreciated. Since originally posting this I developed sciatic pain in both legs. My PCP sent me for an X-ray, the results of which show severe canal stenosis. I am doing dry needling and stretching exercises with good results so far. I have not been lifting for the last couple of weeks due to the pain and other obligations but I am really itching to start again. I want to make sure I’m doing it right before I hurt myself more.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    YouTube
    YouTube