starting strength gym

Thread: Return to barbells after quarantine

Default Return to barbells after quarantine

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking for opinions on programming changes after this shutdown BS is over. My situation is as follows: I am a 59 year old masters power lifter who was training on a four day split spread out over a nine day week. My best raw lifts are: Squat-420, Deadlift-495, Bench-245, Press-195. I have a long training history (competed in single ply from 1990 to 2007). I am currently dropping weight from 241 down to 210 ( current weight 229) to improve body composition and lab work markers.

My question - when the gyms reopen, should I return to a basic LP or just reset the current program?

Running some LP after a reset is going to be the most popular option even if it was a planned reset (i.e., deload week). In your specific case you will have a lot of ground to make up due to an extended lack of barbell training AND a cut. So, a reset and LP makes the most sense here by far. Go easy on the jumps initially and maybe do several days of ramping 5s to get used to training volume. As you get more adjusted you can take bigger jumps to get you closer to where you were, but sitting at a lighter weight it will be a bit trickier to get to those old numbers exactly, so be prepared to slow down the jumps and switch to your 4 day split even before things start to get hard.

Thanks - great info