starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advanced programming for an old powerlifter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    64. I tend to only disclose as much personal data online as needed. Since I stated that I had been training almost 50 years and I wasn't 70, I assumed (incorrectly) that my exact age didn't matter.

My goal is to compete in several weight classes at 65 and my current weight is inside of one of them. Adding weight without being concerned about body fat is both easy for me and in some cases quite enjoyable. In contrast, adding LBM is neither. Going up in weight next year won't be a problem.

I honestly enjoy the recovery day and the intensity day - the volume day not so much.

I've had better results with deadlifting twice a week. If I feel beat up, I will alternate between a conventional or sumo variation, but I mostly pull conventional.

I know it may not be normal, but I feel guilty when I only have one hard squat day. Since the weight is light on recovery day, I am reluctant to eliminate squats on that day as I almost always feel better afterwards. Cutting out the volume day squats, or at least reducing the volume to a more modest level would make my training a lot more enjoyable.

Although I have SS, PPST, and BBRx, I am less familiar with the recommendations that you have made elsewhere. In contrast with some of the coaches I know, SS coaches have a lot of experience working with old people who want to do more than achieve a modest level of strength. Unfortunately, there are no SS gyms planned near my home in NY. Thank you for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    64. I tend to only disclose as much personal data online as needed. Since I stated that I had been training almost 50 years and I wasn't 70, I assumed (incorrectly) that my exact age didn't matter.

My goal is to compete in several weight classes at 65 and my current weight is inside of one of them. Adding weight without being concerned about body fat is both easy for me and in some cases quite enjoyable. In contrast, adding LBM is neither. Going up in weight next year won't be a problem.

I honestly enjoy the recovery day and the intensity day - the volume day not so much.

I've had better results with deadlifting twice a week. If I feel beat up, I will alternate between a conventional or sumo variation, but I mostly pull conventional.

I know it may not be normal, but I feel guilty when I only have one hard squat day. Since the weight is light on recovery day, I am reluctant to eliminate squats on that day as I almost always feel better afterwards. Cutting out the volume day squats, or at least reducing the volume to a more modest level would make my training a lot more enjoyable.

Although I have SS, PPST, and BBRx, I am less familiar with the recommendations that you have made elsewhere. In contrast with some of the coaches I know, SS coaches have a lot of experience working with old people who want to do more than achieve a modest level of strength. Unfortunately, there are no SS gyms planned near my home in NY. Thank you for responding.
    If you don't mind me asking where in NY? The big City? Central NY?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Velazquez View Post
    If you don't mind me asking where in NY? The big City? Central NY?
    Westchester.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12