starting strength gym

Thread: Deficit Deadlifts due to weights cap?

Default Deficit Deadlifts due to weights cap?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone, I have a home gym with 390 pounds of total weight,
    I'm approaching this weight very quickly with my deadlifts for sets of 5 and won't have more weights for quite sometime,
    I was wondering if I could keep progressing with deficit deadlifts/snatch grip deadlifts once I cap my plates, and if so, how should I go about it? Keep the weight the same and increase ROM? cut the weight, add ROM, increase weight till I cap again, add ROM again...
    Thanks!

Figure out your start weight for both deficit and snatch grip. Rework a progression on both until you have time to get more weight. You may want to alternate weeks with deficit and snatch grip.
    You can also add more reps to your standard deadlift, you can do RDL's, you can do stiff-legged deadlifts and/or you can do good-mornings. You can alternate any of the previous with the deficit and/or snatch grip.

You can work up your power clean.

In short, there is alot you can do while you figure out how to get more weight for a conventional deadlift.

Why not just buy more weights now? Even if you have to get some el cheapo big box crap or craigslist special another 50# will keep you gaining for a while. Hell, ankle weights or small dumbbells strapped to the bar would do in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Figure out your start weight for both deficit and snatch grip. Rework a progression on both until you have time to get more weight. You may want to alternate weeks with deficit and snatch grip.
    You can also add more reps to your standard deadlift, you can do RDL's, you can do stiff-legged deadlifts and/or you can do good-mornings. You can alternate any of the previous with the deficit and/or snatch grip.

You can work up your power clean.

In short, there is alot you can do while you figure out how to get more weight for a conventional deadlift.
    RDL's and SLDL are a good idea, I might actually do it.
    Why should I alternate between deficit deadlifts and snatch grip? aren't they basically the same?
    Good mornings I feel are not a strength exercise but are best for hyperthophy.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Why not just buy more weights now? Even if you have to get some el cheapo big box crap or craigslist special another 50# will keep you gaining for a while. Hell, ankle weights or small dumbbells strapped to the bar would do in a pinch.
    I'm a student and currently can't afford more weights, especially not during this pandemic,
    We don't have Craigslist over here and getting cheap used Olympic plates here is not easy and doesn't worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8nexus8 View Post
    RDL's and SLDL are a good idea, I might actually do it.
    Why should I alternate between deficit deadlifts and snatch grip? aren't they basically the same?
    Good mornings I feel are not a strength exercise but are best for hyperthophy.
    Deficits and snatch grip deadlifts are essentially the same range of motion, but SGDLs work the upper back in a totally different way. Try them both and see for yourself, and you might understand why you'd want to alternate them.

I'm not sure why you "feel" that good mornings are a hypertrophy exercise. They're a valuable deadlift variation. Pretty similar to RDLs, though. There's a convenience factor in doing them after your squats since you can just strip some weight off the bar and go.

Quote Originally Posted by 8nexus8 View Post
    The ROM on the SGDL is longer. You will deficit more than you SGDL so its a volume intensity tradeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Deficits and snatch grip deadlifts are essentially the same range of motion.
    Maybe if your deficit is > 3 inches or your snatch grip isn't wide enough. Snatch grip width should have the bar in the hip crease. For most that will be a larger ROM than a deficit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Maybe if your deficit is > 3 inches or your snatch grip isn't wide enough. Snatch grip width should have the bar in the hip crease. For most that will be a larger ROM than a deficit.
    Fair point. I should have said similar, not the same. I've never done deficits so I've not compared them directly.