Deficit Deadlifts due to weights cap? Deficit Deadlifts due to weights cap?

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Deficit Deadlifts due to weights cap?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default Deficit Deadlifts due to weights cap?

    • texas starting strength seminar september 2020
    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    Hey everyone, I have a home gym with 390 pounds of total weight,
    I'm approaching this weight very quickly with my deadlifts for sets of 5 and won't have more weights for quite sometime,
    I was wondering if I could keep progressing with deficit deadlifts/snatch grip deadlifts once I cap my plates, and if so, how should I go about it? Keep the weight the same and increase ROM? cut the weight, add ROM, increase weight till I cap again, add ROM again...
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Figure out your start weight for both deficit and snatch grip. Rework a progression on both until you have time to get more weight. You may want to alternate weeks with deficit and snatch grip.
    You can also add more reps to your standard deadlift, you can do RDL's, you can do stiff-legged deadlifts and/or you can do good-mornings. You can alternate any of the previous with the deficit and/or snatch grip.

    You can work up your power clean.

    In short, there is alot you can do while you figure out how to get more weight for a conventional deadlift.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Why not just buy more weights now? Even if you have to get some el cheapo big box crap or craigslist special another 50# will keep you gaining for a while. Hell, ankle weights or small dumbbells strapped to the bar would do in a pinch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Figure out your start weight for both deficit and snatch grip. Rework a progression on both until you have time to get more weight. You may want to alternate weeks with deficit and snatch grip.
    You can also add more reps to your standard deadlift, you can do RDL's, you can do stiff-legged deadlifts and/or you can do good-mornings. You can alternate any of the previous with the deficit and/or snatch grip.

    You can work up your power clean.

    In short, there is alot you can do while you figure out how to get more weight for a conventional deadlift.
    RDL's and SLDL are a good idea, I might actually do it.
    Why should I alternate between deficit deadlifts and snatch grip? aren't they basically the same?
    Good mornings I feel are not a strength exercise but are best for hyperthophy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Why not just buy more weights now? Even if you have to get some el cheapo big box crap or craigslist special another 50# will keep you gaining for a while. Hell, ankle weights or small dumbbells strapped to the bar would do in a pinch.
    I'm a student and currently can't afford more weights, especially not during this pandemic,
    We don't have Craigslist over here and getting cheap used Olympic plates here is not easy and doesn't worth the hassle.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 8nexus8 View Post
    RDL's and SLDL are a good idea, I might actually do it.
    Why should I alternate between deficit deadlifts and snatch grip? aren't they basically the same?
    Good mornings I feel are not a strength exercise but are best for hyperthophy.
    Deficits and snatch grip deadlifts are essentially the same range of motion, but SGDLs work the upper back in a totally different way. Try them both and see for yourself, and you might understand why you'd want to alternate them.

    I'm not sure why you "feel" that good mornings are a hypertrophy exercise. They're a valuable deadlift variation. Pretty similar to RDLs, though. There's a convenience factor in doing them after your squats since you can just strip some weight off the bar and go.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 8nexus8 View Post
    Why should I alternate between deficit deadlifts and snatch grip? aren't they basically the same?
    The ROM on the SGDL is longer. You will deficit more than you SGDL so its a volume intensity tradeoff.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Deficits and snatch grip deadlifts are essentially the same range of motion.
    Maybe if your deficit is > 3 inches or your snatch grip isn't wide enough. Snatch grip width should have the bar in the hip crease. For most that will be a larger ROM than a deficit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    280

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Maybe if your deficit is > 3 inches or your snatch grip isn't wide enough. Snatch grip width should have the bar in the hip crease. For most that will be a larger ROM than a deficit.
    Fair point. I should have said similar, not the same. I've never done deficits so I've not compared them directly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •