starting strength gym

Thread: Strength loss - need modification

Default Strength loss - need modification

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello!

For the past 2 and a half months I've been doing decent progress with Squat, Bench/Shoulder Press rotation, Deadlift - 3 times a week (5x3, 5x3, 5x1). Started with 70kg squat & DL and reached to 145kg. But the last 2 weeks I'm struggling - the Monday workout is good, but the next 2 are nightmare. And I don't have power, even for regular daily tasks.

My plan for actions is keep the Monday and Friday the same, but change the Wednesday to:
    SQUAT - 3x3
    Press - 5x3
    Bent-Over Row - 5x3 + Chin ups -> The idea is to deload from the overall stress/volume and at the same time build a stronger back for better balance.

Any advice here?
    My goal for this year is to reach 200kg Squat for 5. And then in March 2021 - compete in amateur weightlifting event.

Best Regards,
    Mario

Thank you sir!

1) I'm resting until my breading is normalized and the fatigue is gone. This might take me 3, 5 even 10 minutes. I'm not rushing my work sets.
    2) My jumps are always 2.5 kg. Before the problem I was adding weight every workout - 7.5 kg a week (for squat and deadlift). But from 140 up to 145 kg, it took me more than 2 weeks - I was compromising technique in some reps, that's why I've skipped a few jumps (obviously that was a mistake). Correct me if I'm wrong, but according "Question 2", it would be much better to continue with 1 kg jumps, but never skip them?
    3) My sleep schedule is good with 7 to 8 hours every night (up to 12 during the weekends). I also have balanced diet which consists meat, milk, almonds (nuts in general), vegetables and various carbs sources. Some days I cut the sugar (no chocolate bars, ice cream, deserts in general), but that's all. My minimum daily protein intake is about 140 grams - maybe I should push here more since i'm about 190 lbs.

What about the 3 times a week heavy deadlift? There are 2 reasons I haven't switched to alternating the deadlift with power clean: I want to compete in powerlifting meet, where DL is essential; I don't have anyone around me, who could help me with the power clean technique.
    Am I dumb for not going with power clean?

Best Regards,
    Mario

I would take a week of from deadlifts and then resume them only one day a week

Deadlifting three times a week is Way too much to recover from when the weights get heavy

I dropped the deadlift to one heavy pull per week, maybe two if I really feel like it once it passed 140 kg and I started missing reps. I'm too lazy to do cleans, so on the non-heavy pulling days I reduced the weight to 120 kg and started pulling double overhand for 3x5, increasing slightly once in a while to work on grip strength. But I also had the same problem as you, my squat was on par with my deadlift, which is no good. So I put the squatting on pause, meaning one 3x5 session per week until I got the deadlift up 15 kg past the squat. It's fixing a previous YNDTP (not increasing the deadlift as you should) with another case of YNDTP (pausing the squats), but it works. I still went up up on pressing, which on the other hand was severely affected by a horrible case of golfer's elbow due to a bad squat grip.

I attribute all my mistakes to starting the program before I had actually read the books in detail, I think this happens most of the time.

starting strength coach development program
    3x a week DL is not doing the novice LP and even for an intermediate that will generally be too much. Also, your protein intake is low and depending on your height and age your carb/calorie intake might also be too low.