starting strength gym

Thread: Replacing Power Cleans with Chin-Ups

Default Replacing Power Cleans with Chin-Ups

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is it possible to replace the Power clean with chin-ups at the beginning of the LP? And add the PC later in my training career?
    I'm self-tought and the clean is very hard for me to learn bymyself for now.
    I thought mabye working my way to 3x15 of Chin-ups can help me build more strenght in my upper back so that I can try to learn the clean later

Anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Anything is possible.
    I will eventually learn the Power clean just like in the program
    I just wanted to know if I could replace it for the first few weeks with chin-ups and then add it later, cause I feel right now I wouldn't be able to lift much weight anyway due to my likely bad technique so might as well build more muscles in my upper back with the chin-ups for a few weeks (I do have to gain a lot of weight yet, currently I'm 176lbs/80kg).

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, I thought it is worth asking before changing something in the program.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I just wanted to know if I could replace it for the first few weeks with chin-ups and then add it later, cause I feel right now I wouldn't be able to lift much weight anyway due to my likely bad technique so might as well build more muscles in my upper back with the chin-ups for a few weeks (I do have to gain a lot of weight yet, currently I'm 176lbs/80kg).
    Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

You shouldn't be doing power cleans at all the first few weeks. Have you read any of the books?

starting strength coach development program
    What books?