starting strength gym

Thread: Next Level Programming @ 50 yr old

Default Next Level Programming @ 50 yr old

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m looking for advice about programming my next level workouts.

First a little background. I have been active all my life. The majority my activity has been recreational/competitive basketball games - 2 to 3 times a week - even now (except for COVID lockdown). I have lifted weights off and on but never consistently for more than a few months at a time. I’m naturally an ectomorph. I am 6’3” and have weighed 190 lbs (+/- 5 lbs) since college.

I turn 50 yrs old this year and for the past two years I have tried to dedicate more time in weight room. I have mostly focused on Dan John’s Easy Strength and Rippetoe’s SS programs. Strength, keeping injury free (for basketball), and longevity are the goals.

My 3x5 rep routine has consistently been around 235 lb squat,
    175 lb bench, and
    245 lb deadlift.

I workout 3 x week using the SS program (except I don’t do PowerCleans). My goal is obviously increase strength while keeping in basketball form and shape.

What, if any, program modifications should I make on the SS routine. I feel as though I have stalled a bit on strength, my bench is hardest to make gains, and my deadlift weight seems off compared to my other lifts.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for the book recommendation. I assume this has answers to my questions and a variety of programming based on needs of individual, age, goals.

Also, I use a training log app in the gym (Strong app). Is the programming in the book included in the Starting Strength app? I'm looking for an automatic download of the programming including progressions and scheduled days for each routine. Maybe this is a question for the App forum?

The older you get the more customization is needed. The book gives a variety of programming structures that can be employed, but if you want all of the programming done for you, you will likely need to hire a coach. No book or app will be able to give you exactly what you need.

Hire a coach. I hesitated and procrastinated for a couple of years before biting the bullet. It’s like getting the right screwdriver after you’ve chewed the heads off of several hundred screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Bevilc View Post
    I’m looking for advice about programming my next level workouts.

First a little background. I have been active all my life. The majority my activity has been recreational/competitive basketball games - 2 to 3 times a week - even now (except for COVID lockdown). I have lifted weights off and on but never consistently for more than a few months at a time. I’m naturally an ectomorph. I am 6’3” and have weighed 190 lbs (+/- 5 lbs) since college.

I turn 50 yrs old this year and for the past two years I have tried to dedicate more time in weight room. I have mostly focused on Dan John’s Easy Strength and Rippetoe’s SS programs. Strength, keeping injury free (for basketball), and longevity are the goals.

My 3x5 rep routine has consistently been around 235 lb squat,
    175 lb bench, and
    245 lb deadlift.

I workout 3 x week using the SS program (except I don’t do PowerCleans). My goal is obviously increase strength while keeping in basketball form and shape.

What, if any, program modifications should I make on the SS routine. I feel as though I have stalled a bit on strength, my bench is hardest to make gains, and my deadlift weight seems off compared to my other lifts.

Any recommendations?
    In addition to Coach Courtland and Nokian's suggestions:

- Look-up the "First 3 questions" article on the website. Gaining weight while gaining strength will not be detrimental to your speed and SVJ in basketball.
    - If you can't see/hire a coach, post a form check. Review the form check section until you can watch a video and predict the coach's comments.
    - You are not as old as you think.
    - You can lift way more than you think.
    - Consistency
    - Consider the boxout: do you think you would be more effective boxing out (or fighting through one) at 220 to 230 while squatting and deadlifting 400+, or you current weights? Rebounding - better chance of securing the ball with a 245 lb deadlift and 175 lb bench, or 405 dead and 300 bench?

I'm older than you, never DTP as prescribed, but years on the forum have taught me where I could/should be. It is almost all mental.

To see one example of what is possible, read through my friend's two logs on this site:

swan's log
    swan levels up

He's 6'3", started SS at 50, a natural ectomorph (hard-gainer), basketball player in his youth with an SVJ of 30"+.

Regards - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mangen View Post
    In addition to Coach Courtland and Nokian's suggestions:

- Look-up the "First 3 questions" article on the website. Gaining weight while gaining strength will not be detrimental to your speed and SVJ in basketball.
    - If you can't see/hire a coach, post a form check. Review the form check section until you can watch a video and predict the coach's comments.
    - You are not as old as you think.
    - You can lift way more than you think.
    - Consistency
    - Consider the boxout: do you think you would be more effective boxing out (or fighting through one) at 220 to 230 while squatting and deadlifting 400+, or you current weights? Rebounding - better chance of securing the ball with a 245 lb deadlift and 175 lb bench, or 405 dead and 300 bench?

I'm older than you, never DTP as prescribed, but years on the forum have taught me where I could/should be. It is almost all mental.

To see one example of what is possible, read through my friend's two logs on this site:

swan's log
    swan levels up

He's 6'3", started SS at 50, a natural ectomorph (hard-gainer), basketball player in his youth with an SVJ of 30"+.

Regards - Mike
    Thanks for the insights. Learning from others that are similar is always appreciated. I'll check out your friends logs. As I'm reading the Barbell Prescription I see two areas - food intake (i naturally don't have large appetite - so its protein shakes for me - and my sleep seems to keep me from recovering properly.

I agree a coach would be great. I belong to a Lifetime Fitness but most trainers don't seem to be trained in a SS philosophy but there are a few that can help with technique. On-line coaching may be the way until a SS gym opens near me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevilc View Post
    Thanks for the insights. Learning from others that are similar is always appreciated. I'll check out your friends logs. As I'm reading the Barbell Prescription I see two areas - food intake (i naturally don't have large appetite - so its protein shakes for me - and my sleep seems to keep me from recovering properly.

I agree a coach would be great. I belong to a Lifetime Fitness but most trainers don't seem to be trained in a SS philosophy but there are a few that can help with technique. On-line coaching may be the way until a SS gym opens near me.
    I can recommend SS online coaching as an option. I used Andy Baker as he wrote the book. He will figure out your diet too.