starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice Progression

Default Novice Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm moving into the advanced novice part of NLP and I'm going to programme it so that I do deadlifts on the same day as light squats, I've searched the forum and find this is something people do. Looking at the programming suggestion in PPST it suggests also dropping PC's to once a week, as I've already run a different LP programme my main lifts are moving nicely but PC's are lagging as I'm learning the technique so I'd like to keep them at twice a week for now. My programme will be:

Mon
    Squat
    Bench/Press
    Power Clean
    Chins

Wed
    Light Squat
    Bench/Press
    Deadlift

Fri
    Squat
    Bench/Press
    Power Clean
    Chins

Does this look ok?

Once the PC numbers start getting a bit higher I will split out the power cleans and chins as per PPST and add in back extensions. On this topic is it ok when I train at home to substitute back extensions with good mornings or SLDL's?

This looks good, but for an advanced novice you likely can still DL twice a week. And you may actually need to in order to drive progress. For 2x/wk DL you can still practice the power cleans by having them be part of the warm-up of one of your DL days (i.e., the lighter/volume day, for example).

Yes, you can substitute GMs or SLDL when you get to that stage.

I wanted to put deadlifts on the same day as light squats to see if that helps with recovery. Could I do rack pulls or even halting deadlifts on the second deadlift day?

If you start putting that kind of exercise variation in, it's more of an Intermediate program. As an advanced novice you shouldn't need that. Why is it you feel you can't handle 2x/week deadlifting with one of those days being lighter?

A lighter day would be good, is it possible to do this while keeping the heavy deadlifts on the same day as light squats?

If the DL is on the light SQ day you will only be doing the DL once a week, so no, you are then back to square one. If you are advanced novice for the DL you won't always be doing heavy 5s though, so you will get some relief on those intensity days.

Ok so if I make one week as above and one week I DL Mon & Fri, how would you programme the 'light' DL? Still 1x5 or would you do 3x5 at 70-80%? Also if I'm doing heavy triples instead of fives for the 'heavy' day could I do some back off sets or would that be too much work?

If you reach the limit of your fives (which ends your NLP for the DL), then switching to triples you aren't going to want to add back-offs just yet. It will be too much. If the power cleans are heavy enough they will keep you going on your non-DL days, but if you wanted to put a second DL day in on some weeks I like to use 2x5 @~80% of the upcoming heavy DL weight.

Thanks very much for your help.

starting strength coach development program
    Just for clarification if I programme the light deadlift so my week looks like this:

Mon
    Squat
    Bench/Press
    Deadlift

Wed
    Light Squat @ 80%
    Bench/Press
    Power Clean
    Chins

Fri
    Squat
    Bench/Press
    Light Deadlift @ 80% 2x5

Should I just keep repeating this or alternate with the programme in my original post?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast