starting strength gym

Thread: Help with masters programming after missed workout

Default Help with masters programming after missed workout

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I need programing help please. A little background:

60 year old male

Doing the modified program religiously since August with great results. Every single workout my reps or weight has gone up. Best weight training period in my life!

Sat and Tuesday I do squats and deadlifts. 3 sets of 5, and 1 set of 5

Sunday and Wednesday I do benches and overheads. 3 sets of 5, and 1 set of 5

Yesterday (Saturday) I missed my first squat/deadlift session since August. What do I do today? Forget about squats/deadlifts and just go with my usual benches/overheads?

Do I do squats/deadlifts today and push back my benches/overheads to tomorrow? That would mean 4 lifting days in a row, and I’m concerned about recovery…

Do all 4 movements today and resume normal scheduling on Tuesday? That would mean half intensity for all 4 since my days of 2 hour workouts are done for me.

Thanks!

John

I also workout four days a week. For the last two weeks, I have actually been able to do MTThF, with Wednesday and the weekend off.

Usually I don't pull that off, and have to shift around. If I were you, rather than SSTW, with Thursday and Friday off--for this week, I would just shift the week's schedule up one day, to SMWTh (squat and deadlift on Sunday and Wednesday, then bench and overhead on Monday and Thursday), take Tuesday and Friday off and resume your regular schedule on Saturday.

If the lack of two days rest at the end of the week is going to throw you off, then maybe you go lighter this week.

To reassure you, take a look at this article on resets by Coach Alter. She covers what to do if you miss a workout or a week in the gym--great article:

The Reset | Rori Alter

Quote Originally Posted by JMajoris View Post
    I need programing help please. A little background:

60 year old male

Doing the modified program religiously since August with great results. Every single workout my reps or weight has gone up. Best weight training period in my life!

Sat and Tuesday I do squats and deadlifts. 3 sets of 5, and 1 set of 5

Sunday and Wednesday I do benches and overheads. 3 sets of 5, and 1 set of 5

Yesterday (Saturday) I missed my first squat/deadlift session since August. What do I do today? Forget about squats/deadlifts and just go with my usual benches/overheads?

Do I do squats/deadlifts today and push back my benches/overheads to tomorrow? That would mean 4 lifting days in a row, and I’m concerned about recovery…

Do all 4 movements today and resume normal scheduling on Tuesday? That would mean half intensity for all 4 since my days of 2 hour workouts are done for me.

Thanks!

John

I would treat next Tuesday like it was the Saturday you missed and go from there, no other modifications. Missing one workout is not a big deal.

I usually reset the entire week in which the session was missed. It doesn’t harm to repeat a couple of lifting sessions.

Thank you everyone.

I decided that squats were more important to me than benches, so I did my squats/deadlifts on Sunday and skipped bench day.