starting strength gym

Thread: HLM programming question for old guys

Default HLM programming question for old guys

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I知 what Sullivan and Baker politely call a Masters Athlete - volume-sensitive and intensity-dependant. (I知 also what Rip calls old.)

My question is about a potential adjustment to the Medium day of an HLM program, e.g., for the squat. Rather than do the same number of sets as on Heavy day but at a 5-10% drop in weight, have SS coaches found it helpful for old guys to do the same weight on Medium day as they do on Heavy day, but one fewer set?

Sorry if this has been addressed before; if it has I didn稚 see it.

Thanks.

I usually start a HLM as:

Heavy Day: 4-5 heavy sets
    Light Day: 2-3 sets (10-20% less than Heavy)
    Medium Day: 3-4 sets (5-10% less than Heavy)

So medium generally does have one fewer set. I usually don't have the Heavy and Medium weights the same initially as that can make the medium day too much like a heavy day (especially for Masters), but this isn't a hard and fast rule. Invariably adjustments will have to be made based on the individual's response.

Fantastic. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Copersino View Post
    I知 what Sullivan and Baker politely call a Masters Athlete - volume-sensitive and intensity-dependant.
    I don't know if we're the same species of old. I'm nearing 53 myself. Sullivan and Baker have HLM suggestions in their book, and I've hewed fairly close to them with success. For me, the 20% and 10% offloads on light and medium day are too deep; conversely, the higher set counts are too high for my recovery. For squat (for example) I do 4 sets across on heavy day, 2 sets across at 10-12% less weight on light day, and 3 sets across at 5-6% less weight on medium day.

Quote Originally Posted by bbuszard View Post
    I don't know if we're the same species of old. I'm nearing 53 myself. Sullivan and Baker have HLM suggestions in their book, and I've hewed fairly close to them with success. For me, the 20% and 10% offloads on light and medium day are too deep; conversely, the higher set counts are too high for my recovery. For squat (for example) I do 4 sets across on heavy day, 2 sets across at 10-12% less weight on light day, and 3 sets across at 5-6% less weight on medium day.
    I'm 68 and I find the 10%(light) and 5-6%(medium) offloads to work well also especially if I take an extra day of recovery after the Heavy workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    I'm 68 and I find the 10%(light) and 5-6%(medium) offloads to work well also especially if I take an extra day of recovery after the Heavy workout.
    I'm 59 and also using one of the HLM templates in BBRx as a guide (Example 24-16: HLM Basic Cycling Routine, to be exact). I'm not doing power cleans or snatches, and I don't want to squat and deadlift heavy on the same day, so my heavy day is heavy squats, heavy bench, LTE, then light day is light squat, press, deadlift, while medium day is medium squat, medium bench, chins.

I hate volume squats so my heavy day is 3 sets of 5, light is 1 set of 5 at 10% reduction and medium is 2 sets of 5 at 5% reduction. I always take two days off between each workout. Working well for me, with my squats now in the upper mid-300's and deadlifts in upper-mid 400's.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Plano View Post
    I'm 59 and also using one of the HLM templates in BBRx as a guide (Example 24-16: HLM Basic Cycling Routine, to be exact). I'm not doing power cleans or snatches, and I don't want to squat and deadlift heavy on the same day, so my heavy day is heavy squats, heavy bench, LTE, then light day is light squat, press, deadlift, while medium day is medium squat, medium bench, chins.

I hate volume squats so my heavy day is 3 sets of 5, light is 1 set of 5 at 10% reduction and medium is 2 sets of 5 at 5% reduction. I always take two days off between each workout. Working well for me, with my squats now in the upper mid-300's and deadlifts in upper-mid 400's.
    I'm following almost this exact version of HLM with exception of CG benches in place of presses due to shoulder immobility after 4 surgeries. I'm 62, coming off 2-level lumbar laminectomy and facectectomy ~ 4.5 months ago and progress has been steady. Currently squats in low 300s and DL in high 300s. So far the program is working well and strikes a reasonable balance between intensity, volume and rest/recovery.