starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarifications for PPST3 special populations-older lifters

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I prefer that if you're going to post on this board and get free help, that you do what we ask you to do.
    I know. It was just a bit of fun.

Ahggggghhh. Stoopid YouTube thingy. Cannot get it to work after 2hrs of buggering about with. No video, so no help, got that.

Eventually:

78Kg set of 5 - YouTube

85Kg for a triple - YouTube

Cut the shoulders off at the top of the squat unfortunately. I couldn’t get the camera far enough back without losing some part of me.

If you had posted this a month ago like we asked, we could have told you in five seconds why the sleeves were spinning.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    If you had posted this a month ago, we could have told you in five seconds why the sleeves were spinning.
    I didn’t have a problem with the sleeves spinning Andrew. It was that one of them was sticking and that was rocking the bar pretty badly. This new bar is fine. No problem on the lifts.

My mistake. We could have told you why you felt movement on your back in the squat.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Clarification for PPST3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Clarification for PPST3 ?
    1) There aren't many absolute positions. There's a lot of variation person to person - you'll see in The Barbell Prescription that while a younger masters athlete (40-50) generally can do three days a week and older (60+) generally do well on two days a week, some 50 year olds benefit from two days a week and some 60 year olds benefit from three days a week.

2) Back off sets work pretty well if the person is not able to do sets across but still needs volume. How many back off sets a trainee does is going to depend on the trainee and their recovery.

4) These are all general rules and principles, not edicts. Any program could be manufactured to be too gradual based on your ability to get consistent and uninterrupted training. It's also just a question of how do you want to spend your time and will you get frustrated if progress is too slow.

Based on your numbers, gaining weight would be a benefit to you.

As far as "approving" of what you're doing, you can do what you want, but I think you need to address this bodyweight issue and technique problems before you start playing around with a ton of accessory movements. You'll see a huge improvement in consistent progress if your technique is better and you're gaining weight.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 01-15-2021 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    1) There aren't many absolute positions. There's a lot of variation person to person - you'll see in The Barbell Prescription that while a younger masters athlete (40-50) generally can do three days a week and older (60+) generally do well on two days a week, some 50 year olds benefit from two days a week and some 60 year old benefit from three days a week.

2) Back off sets work pretty well if the person is not able to do sets across but still needs volume. How many back off sets a trainee does is going to depend on the trainee and their recovery.

4) These are all general rules and principles, not edicts. Any program could be manufactured to be too gradual based on your ability to get consistent and uninterrupted training. It's also just a question of how do you want to spend your time and will you get frustrated if progress is too slow.

Based on your numbers, gaining weight would be a benefit to you.

As far as "approving" of what you're doing, you can do what you want, but I think you need to address this bodyweight issue and technique problems before you start playing around with a ton of accessory movements. You'll see a huge improvement in consistent progress if your technique is better and you're gaining weight.
    Thank you Andrew. I thought that might be the answer on training frequency.

You didn’t mention any technique issue ? After 3+ years, if I’m still doing it wrong I doubt I’m going to get any better. I’ve managed 5x3 @ 230lbs with the same shitty form for squats, so no reason I can’t make some improvements. I’m good on the other lifts technique wise. Squats have always been a bit so so.m

As to weight, not likely unless it coincides perfectly with muscle mass increase-which it never does-and there appears to be a plateau of sorts at my age where just piling on body weight pounds does not convert into increasing the gains on the bar. I’m also not prepared to risk my blood pressure for potential strength gains and I’m not comfortable with a 40” + belly. I know Santana suggests getting to 405 for a sets in the DL as a kind of winning post for strength vs muscle maximisation, but that’s on my limit for a single as it is. I don’t think I’m going to get dramatically stronger at my age. As Rip once said “if you started getting strong at 58 years old then you fucked up” and I’m in that category.

You have pretty much answered everything so I’m happy with that. Thanks again for your help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Thank you Andrew. I thought that might be the answer on training frequency.

You didn’t mention any technique issue ? After 3+ years, if I’m still doing it wrong I doubt I’m going to get any better. I’ve managed 5x3 @ 230lbs with the same shitty form for squats, so no reason I can’t make some improvements. I’m good on the other lifts technique wise. Squats have always been a bit so so.m

As to weight, not likely unless it coincides perfectly with muscle mass increase-which it never does-and there appears to be a plateau of sorts at my age where just piling on body weight pounds does not convert into increasing the gains on the bar. I’m also not prepared to risk my blood pressure for potential strength gains and I’m not comfortable with a 40” + belly. I know Santana suggests getting to 405 for a sets in the DL as a kind of winning post for strength vs muscle maximisation, but that’s on my limit for a single as it is. I don’t think I’m going to get dramatically stronger at my age. As Rip once said “if you started getting strong at 58 years old then you fucked up” and I’m in that category.

You have pretty much answered everything so I’m happy with that. Thanks again for your help.
    You're welcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12