starting strength gym

Thread: Partial squats from bottom?

Default Partial squats from bottom?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay, I'll apologize up front if this is a stupid question. But lately I've seen several online "coaches" perform and recommend a squat variation which is essentially a 1 1/2 squat, where you perform full below parallel squats, but every other rep only comes halfway up, then back down before returning to full standing. Now I understand it's not part of the program the way they were performing the move as they perform it involve high reps, but could the lower end from below parallel to halfway up be adapted as an assistance move? My guess is the answer to that is going to be no, but I could be wrong. So where did such a variation come about and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    So where did such a variation come about and why?
    Why are you asking us this question?

LOL, apparently just to get a rise. Sorry, in all seriousness, I couldn't find anything about it and was wondering how such a thing came about and if it had any more legitimacy to it than any of the other nonsense some of the "trainers, coaches and PT's" come up with. Guess I was right and it doesn't. Thanks.

It's not difficult to invent ways to make it harder to go up 5 pounds on an exercise. I just don't see what purpose is served.

I think a better place to ask would be the coaches using the exercise. I imagine they'll say it helps people not get stuck at the bottom, which of course they'll have no evidence to support.

LOL, that's true JJ, but that would mean I'd have to join those forums and sites and I don't want to do that or give them my email so they could try to hard sell me their programs and supplements.

Okay, I'll apologize up front if this is a stupid question. But lately I've seen several online "coaches" perform and recommend a squat variation which is essentially a 1 1/2 squat, where you perform full below parallel squats, but every other rep only comes halfway up, then back down before returning to full standing. Now I understand it's not part of the program the way they were performing the move as they perform it involve high reps, but could the lower end from below parallel to halfway up be adapted as an assistance move? My guess is the answer to that is going to be no, but I could be wrong. So where did such a variation come about and why?
    If those online coaches are from bodybuilding world than they do this to get more pump and sorenes. If it hurts 2 days after it grows!!!

If they are from crossfit than than they want to get you tired whitout making you stronger. Geting tired is always good

Functional training coaches try to mimic something. It is always good to do what you do but with added wheight. For example if you want to be a better lover you need to mimic the movment of misionary position but with 45 pound plate on your ass. That is functional training

If they have powerlifting background than they just do not know how to program and try to cover their lack of knowledge with creativity. Being creative is good.

starting strength coach development program
    So where did such a variation come about and why?
    This has actually been around a long time in Oly lifting circles. Ever see someone come up partially after a clean and then slam back into the bottom for a second bounce? Better to get up the first time, but since it's not a red light in that competition, they may be trying to practice for a clean caught in a bad position.