starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP! My clean keeps stalling out at a measley 60kg

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I'm pretty dumb; what's "positional strength?"
    It's what Olympic weightlifting coaches say when they don't understand how to fix a blatant technique problem.

Talked further to my coach and apparently I'm getting behind the bar too quickly and not using enough leg drive. My back and shoulders are coming into play too early. The fact that the bar goes around the knees during the first pull is also cause for concern. On top of that I'm not extending fully either. I've been told to do clean pulls without any arm bend at the top in order to conceptualize the first phase of the pull. There's also a passage in a book by Tommy Kono that sums up what I'm doing wrong. It reads as follows:

"Lifters are often taught to keep their hips low to start the pull, but in many instances they start with their hips too low. If the hips are too low there is a tendency of the bar going around the knees, or, as I term it, the bar "bubble out" as the pull off the floor starts. "Bubbling out" causes the back and shoulders to come into play early and the leg drive is not used efficiently.

By altering the start position so the hips are higher (but still lower than the shoulders), the shoulders will be well over the bar, and you place yourself in a better position to get the knees out of the path of the bar instead of the bar having to go around the knees."

- Kono, Weightlifting Olympic Style, page 169

Kono was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MKuznetsov View Post
    Talked further to my coach and apparently I'm getting behind the bar too quickly and not using enough leg drive. My back and shoulders are coming into play too early. The fact that the bar goes around the knees during the first pull is also cause for concern. On top of that I'm not extending fully either. I've been told to do clean pulls without any arm bend at the top in order to conceptualize the first phase of the pull. There's also a passage in a book by Tommy Kono that sums up what I'm doing wrong. It reads as follows:

"Lifters are often taught to keep their hips low to start the pull, but in many instances they start with their hips too low. If the hips are too low there is a tendency of the bar going around the knees, or, as I term it, the bar "bubble out" as the pull off the floor starts. "Bubbling out" causes the back and shoulders to come into play early and the leg drive is not used efficiently.

By altering the start position so the hips are higher (but still lower than the shoulders), the shoulders will be well over the bar, and you place yourself in a better position to get the knees out of the path of the bar instead of the bar having to go around the knees."

- Kono, Weightlifting Olympic Style, page 169
    I think there is a book out there somewhere that explains in excruciating detail how to fix this problem... I'm sure the name of it will come to me at some point.

Here's a clip from last night after reading Kono, it's with 55kg. I think the first pull looks a bit better but I'm still racking the bar late

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Hips are better here. They still need to be higher and your weight needs to be over your midfoot.

I don't understand why you aren't cleaning over 60kg.

Can you just show us a video of you cleaning 60kg for a single, and then 62kg, and then 64kg, and keep adding until you can't clean the weight?
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 02-19-2021 at 05:58 PM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I don't have any footage of me cleaning 60kg but the next time I work up to that weight I'll post it. Also just got back from my coach and he told me additional things that I was doing wrong. He said there's not enough hip contact and the way I'm opening up after the bar passes the knee is incorrect. Additionally since the extension is somewhat improper I have a tendency to jump back as a result. In order to correct this he had me draw a line across the platform with chalk, told me to have the edge of my heels on the line at the start, and to not cross the line after extending. After jumping so that my heels landed behind the line a few time I eventually was able to jump straighter. The reps felt better as well and the hip contact was more consistent. I was told to keep working on how I open up when the bar gets above the knee, as in my coach's eyes it's the most glaring thing I'm doing wrong. As for the issue of bar crashing and racking the bar late, coach said it was a comparatively minor flaw that would likely fix itself after the other issues in my technique are fixed.

How often do you see your coach in person?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    How often do you see your coach in person?
    Usually every other week. I would go more but I'm concerned about overtraining since most of the time when I'm there I do a fair amount of reps in the clean to practice technique, along with overhead squats. Other than that I film myself when I train at my garage gym and send him any relevant footage. My normal training schedule is Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday, so whenever I see my coach it's on a Friday.

starting strength coach development program
    Are you paying this guy?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast