starting strength gym

Thread: 50yr old LP changes

Default 50yr old LP changes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm Matt, a 50yr old in Australia, 189cm, 135kg. I weighed 211 kg 10 yrs ago. Lost 80 plus kg exercising. Started training before Covid and was getting stronger but didnt have a home gym when the restrictions were introduced.

Started NLP at 129kg, after the covid restrictions in January 21, so approx. 8 wks in. Squat is 105kg, Deadlift is 162.5kg, Bench is 90kg and Press is 62.5kg and Power Clean is 45kg. Squat is still going up 2.5 kg (had a reset due to form adjustments), Bench and Press are slowing to 3s at 2.5kg increase, trying source some .5 kg plates. Deadlift has stalled at 162.5, tried resets. Power clean causes left elbow and shoulder pain when I do them. Sourcing some coaching locally for Power clean to see if it's a form problem. Slowly increasing Calories, currently 3200 per day protien and carb is around 280g and fat is around 60g. Psychological battle with putting weight on is massive. But pushing through, have been increasing my calories by 200 every 2 wks approx.

First question, in Practical Programing for stalled Deadlift in the Advanced NP I see 3-5, does this mean I increase the reps at that weight for each session, 3 then 4 then 5 at the same weight then increase weight starting at 3 again? Or does it mean increase the weight each session and aim for 3 - 5 reps? Or is either okay?

Second question, as I am getting older and the need for the power clean to develop power is not really a necessity would bent over rows and back extensions be fine for stregthinhg the back, or would partial deadlifts like rack pulls and half pulls from the floor be better as an Advanced Novice?

Third question, was thinking of adjusting my program to 4 days a week.
    Day 1 - Squat, Bench, Accessory
    Day 2 - Deadlift, Press, Accessory
    Rest 1 day
    Day 3 -Squat, Bench, Accessory
    Day 4 - Power Clean, Press, Accessory
    Rest 2 days.
    I recover from Bench and Press quite quickly so looking at doing them 2 times a week, dropping Squat to 2 times a week as the weight gets heavier and keeping Deadlift a 1 day a week.

Have had 3 testosterone test, and it is low 200s, currently trying to source some cypionate or enanthate from a reliable source.

Any help and advice appreciated thankyou.

Thankyou, should have been mentioned that I am currently doing so and approx. a quarter of the the way in.

Honestly not trying to be argumentative here. You're 6'2 and almost 300 pounds with a 200 pound bench and a 355 ( or so) deadlift. Why on earth are you trying to gain weight? Please don't take this in a way it isn't meant, I seriously don't understand.

Your.all good, 3200 is about 15% above maintenance for me. I was feeling really rundown on lower calorie amounts.and honestly i started at 2400 which was way to low. I feel good where i am now, taking weight off is just a process and just a maths equation. What I said was just a vent more than anything. I'm trying to get as strong as I can before I get to old without gaining to much weight but that does.mean gaining some. I will stay here now until I see a decrease in the waist line, or my recovery slows to much.

Thanks Mark, great article. I wont be changing the program. But I dont fall into the demographic referred to throughout the article age wise. Not overly concerned about a bit of weight gain. The first lot of information was just background about me and where i was at.
    My first question was about deadlift as I have not had alot of experience with training the deadlift and how I am interpreting what you have written in the book. The second question was about power clean, but I left out that if the power clean continue cause problems with my left elbow and shoulder, would the alternatives that i mentioned be okay at his stage of the program.or do you have any suggestions.
    I understand my age will be a limiting factor in recover and rate of progress. I am trying maximise the gains before I get to old.

Regarding the deadlift, after NLP you can rotate reps in the DL on an intensity day and drive progress with a volume day or five progress with a Medium and Light day. The power clean often has to be dropped when people become late masters, yes. So, other options can be used like regular deadlifts and/or accessory movements.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for your help