starting strength gym

Thread: Return to training after Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection

Default Return to training after Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I realize that given the medical nature of my situation, it will be impossible for anyone to give me specific, personalized advice but I'm just looking for some hope that there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. I am a 46 year old male with a fairly long training history, although still an intermediate rather than an advanced lifter. Over the last 2-3 years I have been training for strongman along with my regular barbell training. I did my first regional strongman competition in February 2020 and trained for several other competitions which were ultimately cancelled primarily due to covid. Last Tuesday, March 16, 2021 I went to the hospital with chest pain and was ultimately given the diagnosis of a SCAD (Spontaneous, Coronary, Artery, Dissection) of the distal lateral descending artery. I am still in the early stages of recovery so exercise at the moment consists of going for short walks. My cardiologist would not completely take a return to training off the table but she strongly encouraged me to examine my priorities and consider if a return to training was worth the potential risk. Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge or experience with this condition and a return to strength training? Is it realistic to think that a return to training and ideally competition may be in my future without undue risk of another, similar event? I am not planning anything foolish and don't plan to even consider training until after my 1 month follow up with my cardiologist, if she thinks it is safe. However, since doctors tend to err on the side of caution I thought I would also gather information and opinions elsewhere so I may better formulate some good questions for her when I have that appointment.

Cheers!

Colin Lewry

How was it repaired? Is any other vasculature involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How was it repaired? Is any other vasculature involved?
    It was not repaired, the cardiologist deemed it to be non-surgical and said that it work ultimately heal on it's own. No other vasculature was involved to the best of my understanding. She also said that based on the my blood work (troponin levels) there was no signs of any tissue death.

I was told by the cardiologist after the angiogram that I did not require surgery. I do not know if this was due to the size or location or both, but she seemed to think that the tear would eventually heal on it's own. She did not give me the impression that any other vasculature was involved. The hospital staff informed me that that my blood work (troponins) did not indicate any tissue death so it was causing angina, but I did not actually have a heart attack. I was sent home with a number of new medications: Nitro patch to wear during the day, low dose ASA, a blood pressure medication, a statin, a diuretic and nitro spray for use as needed.