starting strength gym

Thread: Programming for Bone Strength, any difference?

Default Programming for Bone Strength, any difference?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I wondering if there is any programming variation needed to ensure bone strength keeps pace with muscle strength.

Or does the muscular skeletal system as a whole increase strength together?

At the risk of clouding the question, I’ll note why I ask. I’m 60 and doing my first ever barbell work in my NLP, and may have cracked a rib near my shoulder blade. I’m not really sure what I did to cause it. Nor am I even sure it was a rib. In any case it is getting better.
    I know for us older folk, stuff sometimes just happens. Maybe I did something funny with the lawn mower, not weights.
    Still it made me wonder and ask the question.
    Last edited by Richard Durbin; 05-17-2021 at 05:23 PM.

If the whole system is stressed and recovers, the whole system adapts.

Richard, you are the man for starting your NLP at 60. I started early 50;s. Run your LP and you will soon be the strongest 60 year old guy that you know.
    Rip answered your question, the compound movements are working the hell out of your skeleton, so yes your bones will be getting denser as you continue to train. If you are starting out, you should consider buying both books: Starting Strength 3rd Ed and The Barbell Prescription.
    SS goes into detail on the movements, and TBP is written for us older lifters or “masters athletes” as the author calls us.

Thank you Mark and Tommy.

Yes I understand, as an old fart was just wondering if I could get strong faster than my bones. Sounds funny and unlikely as my bones should have a good head start.

Thanks again.